Dad sues Dreamworld after son falls from stationary attraction

Rivals

time for another random law suit against dreamworld:

F7CFD371-A6CA-46CB-BB97-E91D55A1C900.thumb.jpeg.9186ed83b0df8d15d49a0f4e0bf73690.jpeg

I don’t have access to the Gold Coast Bulletin article however from what i’ve gathered (link below) the kid and his family were visiting the Moonlight Night Markets where the kids were “climbing all over the train” which on the time of the fall, Josh (the dad) claims had no signage or fencing round it and was poorly lit.“He slipped off the train, the surface was concrete and he broke his humerus bone straight through,” 

https://rajacreator.com/dad-sues-dreamworld-after-sons-fall-from-stationary-attraction/

imo, i think parents should just be more attentive to their kids instead of blaming places where their kids injure themselves. I mean if you think something is dangerous or unsafe wouldn’t you tell them to get down? especially when it’s something not designed to be a playground or to be climbed all over, but maybe that’s just me. If anyone has access to the GC Bulletin feel free to upload the full article below :)  

Edited by Rivals

• Rivals changed the title to Dad sues Dreamworld after son falls from stationary attraction

It reminds me of when a woman fell from a garden bed when trying to see a better view of the parade then tried to sue Movie World for “negligence to its duty of care” back in 2016. Two of the dumbest lawsuits i’ve ever heard, it’s not that hard to not climb something that isn’t meant for climbing, and if you do that’s your own risk so if you sustain injuries it’s your own fault. smh

Assuming the train is the mini train photo opportunity they have opposite Sky Voyager, the spots the kid would’ve been doesn't look safe for a kid to be climbing over to begin with: 

CF1129DC-7523-4CB8-B3A0-B74935B5506C.thumb.jpeg.2a016107f85d8cd1f3ec8bee9fd8c3de.jpeg

the only two metre height part would be the areas covered in the white box, one side is a slanted ascent which a kid could very easily slip off of, and the other side is two small “platforms” where a kid could easily slip off due to the shaping and size.

What I think actually happened is this (this scenario works with both trains incase im thinking of the wrong one):

- The family visited the Night Markets, The kids saw the train and wanted to play on it so the parents told one of the older kids to be in charge of their siblings so they could go and get food. The kid obviously wouldn’t see the risk in it, therefor letting the kid climb to the top in which ended up resulting in him falling off. Once the parents returned, they became furious and decided to blame the park for having this out “for their kids to play with” instead of holding their own kid accountable for a mistake. aka blaming the park for their negligence.

imo it would make sense as the dad so far hasn’t recalled what happened and just said he fell, if it was enough to sue wouldn’t you add in the events that lead up to the incident to justify your decision? 

Edited by Rivals

@Rivals you would be correct in thinking of that train. The larger train at the station is fenced off during the night markets. Little Puff has a couple steps at the back so that kids can stand in the carriage and at the ‘controller’. I believe there is even a sign that says to not climb 

F7B0474A-EF43-4B9B-AC05-D99864C8EB24.jpeg

ADB90C76-70D8-4E6B-A6D3-D9056AB93764.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Archer said:

The sign and safety barrier was placed there AFTER the accident.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11131163/amp/Dreamworld-Gold-Coast-sued-boy-fell-photo-attraction-train-broke-arm.html

Read the article. 

Naughty naughty Dreamworld, again 🤣

I’m going to guess this is just sarcasm? 

If it’s not thought, i’m 99% sure those photos that were just posted were from a couple months ago as i’ve seen the barrier up from time to time, also if parents are around and attentive, it’s common sense to not let your kid climb something like that…

I see no problem with Little Puff as an attraction during the day (and agree the train boiler itself is not suited for climbing at any time), but it definitely shouldn't be available for kids to play on at night as that area is quite poorly lit, and there is literally zero other active entertainment options for kids during the market (nor should there be).

• Like 1

I don’t believe it is “available” during the markets. They usually put some of those bollards with ropes out around it at that time. That parents fail to supervise and allow their children to go beyond the rope line is the issue.

I haven’t been back to the markets since this furore started so not sure if they have introduced something that harder to transverse but aside from wheeling out temp fencing every Friday & Saturday night they need to rely on parents to do the right thing. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/8/2022 at 8:34 AM, Brad2912 said:

I don’t believe it is “available” during the markets. They usually put some of those bollards with ropes out around it at that time. That parents fail to supervise and allow their children to go beyond the rope line is the issue.

I haven’t been back to the markets since this furore started so not sure if they have introduced something that harder to transverse but aside from wheeling out temp fencing every Friday & Saturday night they need to rely on parents to do the right thing. 

I saw this, kids were all over it, my child included. I commented to my friend that I was surprised it wasn’t fenced or signed. The boy appeared to slip off the slippy roof part, hard to tell as it was dark but there were at least three or four children up there. He landed on hard concrete and it looked like his arm was bent the wrong way. I got my child and we left, I felt sick. Imagine if any of them landed on their heads. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Miss Carter said:

I saw this, kids were all over it, my child included. I commented to my friend that I was surprised it wasn’t fenced or signed. The boy appeared to slip off the slippy roof part, hard to tell as it was dark but there were at least three or four children up there. He landed on hard concrete and it looked like his arm was bent the wrong way. I got my child and we left, I felt sick. Imagine if any of them landed on their heads. 

I get what you’re saying but it’s still not Dreamworld’s fault if it happened to anyone else’s kids or worse.

There has been signage to not climb since it came out to the public for the parks anniversary, it’s your responsibility as a parent to make a decision if you want your kid to undergo the risk or not of not listening to the sign, if you choose to ignore the signs and something happens that’s on you not the park.

19 hours ago, Miss Carter said:

I felt sick. 

I would have felt sick to realising that my own actions may have caused the injury to my child. Perhaps the guilt you felt at allowing your child to climb all over something that was not a playground caused you to feel unwell. Just a thought. 

• Like 3

On 9/9/2022 at 5:49 PM, Rivals said:

I get what you’re saying but it’s still not Dreamworld’s fault if it happened to anyone else’s kids or worse.

There has been signage to not climb since it came out to the public for the parks anniversary, it’s your responsibility as a parent to make a decision if you want your kid to undergo the risk or not of not listening to the sign, if you choose to ignore the signs and something happens that’s on you not the park.

Ha ha