"Significant" new attractions to be announced at Dreamworld

1 hour ago, New display name said:

You're unwilling to take anything anything else into account.  6 months of Covid trading, westtest trading.   But no, it's all DW fault.🤷‍♂️ 

All I’m taking into account is the actual results. You’ve repeatedly misrepresented what I’ve said, and misrepresented the actual numbers. If you want to disagree that’s fine, but there’s no place for blatant misrepresentation of facts.

All things considered (weather, covid, brand and wider tourism trends, etc.), I think they underperformed. I didn’t expect a profit this year nor did expect them to give Village a run for their money. It’s  reasonable to expect an EBITDA profit in FY23, but it’s going to be more of an uphill battle than today’s presentation tries to convince us.

They’ve gone to great lengths to put positive spin on the numbers  — as all public companies do — but I don’t think much of the spin stands up to scrutiny. Investors seem to agree.

• Like 2

If Dreamworld want to try and compete with MW they simply need to take some risks and that might mean really delivering on some significant and unique attractions, at least one needs to be a major thrill ride and at least one needs to be a Quality immersive family ride experience. 

Lets say an RMC raptor (which is some sort of southern hemisphere record breaker) and a Bluey themed dark river ride. That would be my realistic wish list. 

If I was no holds barred dreaming, I would ask for the Southern Hemispheres first Giga lol, but I cant see DW having the space or the budget for one. 

Also need to consider that one or more of these ‘significant attractions’ could be WWW additions, I really hope not but thats got some serious work to do to catch up with WnW 

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

You’ve repeatedly misrepresented what I’ve said, and misrepresented the actual numbers.

It's called copy & paste.

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

All things considered (weather, covid, brand and wider tourism trends, etc.), I think they underperformed.

I thought the numebers would be worse then what they were because every business owner on the GC that I have spoken to say they have gone backwards.

14 minutes ago, New display name said:

It's called copy & paste.

I thought the numebers would be worse then what they were because every business owner on the GC that I have spoken to say they have gone backwards.

You’re talking to the wrong people then. 
Most good operators are smashing it at the moment. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Its a shame now VRTP is private we can't see their data and compare. 

I'll give you a hint.  It's down on where it should be and it's not VRTP fault.

1 minute ago, rappa said:

You’re talking to the wrong people then. 
Most good operators are smashing it at the moment. 

For the whole year?  No.

Edited by New display name

What about an interactive Bluey dark ride like Toy story midway mania at Disneys California Adventure. I appreciate JL was a bit of a flop but when its done properly these types of rides are freaking amazing. But in essence, i concur, any bluey themed dark ride would be a smash hit. 

Another thought, what about a high speed slot car dark ride like Journey to the centre of the earth in Japan? Of course this ride would not be a bluey ride because 90% of the target audience wouldn’t be able to ride it. But I did think they could make it themed around the Eureka mine ride, giving a nod to Dreamworlds heritage and hitting that nostalgia button 

This is great news that Dreamworld is starting to recover, my guess for the new attractions will be ABC Kids rethemed with all new rides (existing rides taken out) set to open July - September 2023 and a new water ride (my guess: Mack Powersplash, could’ve made a deal with the ST purchase) in the old RHLR area.

Edited by Rivals

Also worth noting if you listen to the audio recording from the meeting in the Inventory Q&A session someone asked how much these new attractions will cost. Greg said $50-$60 million within the next 3 years of pipeline. (FY23/24/25)

That can get a few attractions.. A Big thrill coaster, new slide tower, new Bluey dark ride/ABS world refresh) and a Mack Power Splash.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Also worth noting if you listen to the audio recording from the meeting in the Inventory Q&A session someone asked how much these new attractions will cost. Greg said $50-$60 million within the next 3 years of pipeline. (FY23/24/25)

That can get a few attractions.. A Big thrill coaster, new slide tower, new Bluey dark ride/ABS world refresh) and a Mack Power Splash.

$50-60m isn't a lot when you really think about it, Steel Taipan was quoted at $30m.

You'd be getting closer to a good flume (or equivalent at the Rocky Hollow site), a thrill flat (replacing Wipeout) and the ABC Kids World refresh (if you're going to put another dark ride in the Big Red Car building you're looking at a new ride system + theming, which will cost good money if done properly). The latter two were planned along with Steel Taipan before covid happened, Ardent is just playing catch-up replacing their many attractions that they ran into the ground.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

$50-60m isn't a lot when you really think about it, Steel Taipan was quoted at $30m

While its not a lot of money in the scheme of things. Lets say $30 million for a thrilling coaster, A Mack Power Splash is around $10 million ($6.5 million USD I read) That leaves $10-$20 million for Abc kids world/dark ride. 

So no slide tower then. :(

As good as ST is, I think with the benifit of hindsight we can say they bought too much ride. $30million for a single ride is probably too much for DW right now. Again, just to clarify, I'm not saying that they should have known or I knew better or anything like that before anyone starts putting those words into my mouth.

Having said that, they've got the 'big coaster' thing pretty licked now. Add a mid size coaster, a decent flat and a shoot the chutes (not a power splash) and you've got a pretty well rounded park that makes sense for ST to reside in. WWW is also open weekend for half the year, and like a month in Jan. If it's not worth opening it during the week, particualy in November for end of school excursion season, it's not worth sinking millions into a new tower.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joz said:

Having said that, they've got the 'big coaster' thing pretty licked now. Add a mid size coaster, a decent flat and a shoot the chutes (not a power splash) and you've got a pretty well rounded park that makes sense for ST to reside in. WWW is also open weekend for half the year, and like a month in Jan. If it's not worth opening it during the week, particualy in November for end of school excursion season, it's not worth sinking millions into a new tower.

Respectfully disagree with this. Dreamworld still need to replace the gap Buzzsaw left in the lineup. You could say ST replaced both TOT & Buzzsaw, and I'm happy with that assessment, but Dreamworld having an extra anchor thrill ride is handy and there's plenty of compact options that could be placed in the park that don't break the bank (a certain plot of land cleared for a lazy river comes to mind) that covers all bases when the time comes to remove Gold Coaster.

Obviously Dreamworld needs the above mentioned first + a good dark ride & refresh for ABC kids and I assume this will be what is announced later on in the year, but this should come after in the next 10 years IMO

Edited by Baconjack

That plot of land that's cleared where the Lazy River is should stay reserved for White Water World. That's the only place left they can expand. Dreamworld has a few areas that they can still expand into without using up that location. I really don't want to see a Power Splash in the park, It just seems like a one trick pony which I feel given the past of Dreamworld would be a step back.

I strongly think a good family friendly water ride like a decent log flume would be great for the park. If Sea World didn't already have Storm I would have loved a more extended version of that TBH. I Feel that kind of ride should be the next attraction they build from the ground up. Then something to fix up the ABC Kids area would be my next priority. If they re-routed some footpaths they could probably utilise the space Big Red Car took up, and the space where the Tower of Terror queue stood to make a decent sized dark ride. I mean you could even take up the space that the Wiggles Fun Spot uses too.

Once those 2 attractions are done, then I'd say the park would be due for another decent thrill ride. I'd love to see one of the new Vekoma Flying coasters like the one at Phantasialand open up in the park. I'm not sure what this ride costs, but I'd say it's cheaper than the B+M Variants and it looks to be a damn good ride and something that's not seen in Australia. Honestly, if they hadn't just done up the Motocoaster that land would have been great for a new coaster but I don't see it going anywhere now for at least 10 years since it just got new trains.

• Like 1