If green Lantern were ever to be removed what coaster/ride would you put in its place?(be realistic)

i2145

2 hours ago, Rivals said:

GL is also very good at being a family thrill coaster

Nothing with multiple inversions is “family” imo 

RRRC - boomerang - Scooby - SFC - GL - Superman

You’ve left Rivals off all your rankings

i’d consider GL far more “thrill” than Superman - considerably more 

8 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Nothing with multiple inversions is “family” imo 

The forces, elements and thrill you get from the ride is why i labelled it as a family thrill, it’s a pretty slow, force less and just enjoyable ride.

8 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

You’ve left Rivals off all your rankings

i’d consider GL far more “thrill” than Superman - considerably more 

i left it out on purpose, i thought it would be clear it would be at the top considering the ride it is so i couldn’t be bothered to include it.

Superman is definitely more thrilling then GL, just because a ride has inversions doesn’t mean it’s more thrilling. The launch on SE alone is more forceful the anything in the rest of the park, the rides forces and airtime are very strong, the pre show is very fear inducing (for first time riders) and helps build up fear, its definitely way more of a thrill, i know my GP friends think it is way more scarier then Rivals.

• Like 2

Superman is definitely more thrilling then GL

It may have more thrilling elements, but when speaking about “family” thrill rides, inversions usually move a ride out of that category. Imo nothing with an inversion will ever be family friendly ride  

My son is 10, and he’ll do superman without a problem but GL is a no go due to inversions, and his entire friend group is the same. Many do Rivals but won’t go near GL. I’d argue the slow arduous nature of the inversions on GL make it a tougher sell to younger kids than say Cyclone that is a quick and done inversion 

• Like 1

It's a small area but Movie World could do a Gatekeeper style revamp of the entrance with some elements passing across the entry.

RMC raptor would be a welcome addition, the original model (Railblazer) is still one of the most insane coasters I've been on.

5 hours ago, Rivals said:

Superman is definitely more thrilling then GL

I agree. 

The launch is more powerful than GL's chainlift, Superman goes faster, Superman is taller, Superman has more G Force, and Superman is longer in length. Just because something has inversions doesn't mean that is scarier. Heck, even the new SFC will be faster then GL and have an equal Gs to GL.

Everyone is different, my girlfriend freaked out on the slight incline after the start of vintage cars at dreamworld - won't go near a coaster lol. Yet she has no problem scuba diving with bull sharks. Me on the other hand, I've done multiple laps on a SCAD tower, been aerobatic flying pulling 8-9 Gs - the more intense the better.

I personally think Green Lantern is okay, it serves a purpose and provides variety. I really liked the El Loco at Adventuredome in Vegas as it hits that first drop without brakes, shame GL doesn't do that. 

If we're looking at a hypothetical/realistic replacement. Something like Hangtime at Knott's would be great - it operates in the small footprint of a former boomerang site, is a really fun and thrilling ride, and the light package Knott's uses at night is spectacular (not sure if that's an optional extra from the manufacturer).

Edited by downunder

13 minutes ago, REGIE said:

Yeah GL is more tame but the look of it scares a lot of people. Same reason GP say maverick is tame it’s the look of a ride more then the forces that give it the rank

I hear you there, I was puzzled when Cedar Point announced a 105 foot coaster after Millennium Force and Dragster (& wicked twister was 200 foot+ too), but then I rode it, wow.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rivals said:

GL is also very good at being a family thrill coaster (even if the height restrictions says otherwise.) Without it, the line up would go RRRC - Scooby - Superman. GL creates a good middle ground and will create a great step up from the new coasters, as they will end up making the line up go RRRC - boomerang - Scooby - SFC - GL - Superman. I think GL is here to stay, DD has more chance of going imo. 

If it has an inversion it's a thrill coaster imo. I like making similar jokes about Gold Coaster, but RCDB classes anything with an inversion as "extreme" for a good reason.

For most people, going upside down puts them off, especially for kids. Let alone something that hangs riders upside down for several seconds on two separate occasions. No wonder why Superman's popularity has endured for nearly 20 years after it was built. 

The fact GL was just repainted a couple of years ago shows Village is willing to invest in it for the next few years. Repaints are not cheap. 

Nothing is probably facing the axe right now - but the discussion certainly could be had for Doomsday within the next 5 years.

Edited by Baconjack

Yeah I hear plenty of people around the parks saying “oh it doesn’t go up sidedown does it!” To rivals and super man. In fact some people find DCR less ‘scary’ then GL because it doesn’t invert. Kinda funny since you never can really tell your upside down when you go through most loops

I'd go for a Restaurant, but one not too high that it affects the skyline from the carpark. This said, the front of the park is a significant watercourse, and we've seen that area and the carpark underwater before. 

Link

Link

I'd be all for a Citywalk styled area out front that extends to the hotel, but the flood risk is too high (unless the precinct is built higher...but that'd ruin the skyline).

2 hours ago, REGIE said:

Yay another “restaurant” at movie world where you can buy the same burger and hotdog as all the other places.. just make the mex themed one actually serve Mexican 

I find that a weird comment given the 3 main outlets (Gotham, Harry’s, West) all have differing menus

harrys menu is literally all Mexican food. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noxegon said:

Legoland Deutschland is about to open a B&M with two inversions. 

Is Legoland not a family park?

Thank question makes zero sense.

dreamworld is a family park, that doesn’t mean Steel Taipan is a family ride.

just because you are a family park doesn’t mean every single attraction has to cater or be suitable for every guest 

23 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

dreamworld is a family park, that doesn’t mean Steel Taipan is a family ride.

just because you are a family park doesn’t mean every single attraction has to cater or be suitable for every guest 

Yep!

From a Victorian perspective, Luna Park Melbourne has some very intense rides like Enterprise, and Gumbuya World has two of the most intense rides in Australia, Rebel and Project Zero being two out of only four rides to reach 5Gs (Vortex at SW and SX360 at Aussie World are the others). Both are family parks.

A family park is a park where all members of the family can have fun, for thrill seekers and the faint-hearted. It doesn’t have to be all family rides.

48 minutes ago, New display name said:

Name a theme park you can't go with your family?

it’s not about if you can take your whole family to a park, but wether they would enjoy it. By all means you could let your 6 year old watch Breakfast at Tiffany’s if you wanted but would they rlly enjoy it? Ik when I was a little kid around ten or so years ago I hated going to MW cause there weren’t many rides catering to pre-school aged kids, but I loved SW because it wasn’t just about the big rollercoaster.

Tbh though, basically all parks in Australia can be enjoyed by the whole family to some degree, and I can’t think of one specific park that could be seen as a full on thrill or family park in the country. Yeah some have more big rides like MW and some are more Family catered like Aussie world, but we don’t have anywhere that tries to generally sick to one side of the scale like Cedar Point or LegoLand abroad.

Argument aside, I'm sure we can agree that, if something were to go in the plot of GL, it'd have to be more thrill than family in marketing & demographic, and have a near-complete focus on the more 'thrilling' side of inversions (ideally, ones that are unique to the area), as without Arkham & GL they've got none & Dreamworld's got 2.

Edited by Tricoart

2 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

and have a near-complete focus on thrilling, unique (to the area) inversions, as without Arkham & GL they've got none & Dreamworld's got 2.

We do need more inverting coasters in Australia. Currently we have 28 coasters in Australia, but only 6 invert. In comparison, 22 don't invert and will increase to 27 > 6 when we get the new coasters confirmed in the next few years. These are the only ones that invert:

• Green Lantern (Movie World, 2 inversions)
  • Steel Taipan (4 inversions)
  • Gold Coaster (Dreamworld, 2 inversions)
  • Abyss (Adventure World, 3 inversions)
  • Project Zero (Gumbuya World, 2 inversions)
  • Big Dipper III (Luna Park Sydney, 2 inversions)