Topgolf attraction coming to the Gold Coast

rac2703

I've known about this for a little while now, very excited for it to come to the Gold Coast and 7 other locations Australia wide. Read the Press Article here from Top Golf: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/topgolf-expands-global-community-with-deal-for-australian-venues-300289278.html

9 hours ago, BigKev said:

I must admit I wasn't looking at it with more accomodation being available which would obviously change things as I can't see the day-to-day park crowds going for it and it's too far out to be a regular night attraction. 

I think there's a massive difference when comparing to bowling though because bowling is accessible to anyone of any age and ability.

Unless you play golf already, golf (outside of mini golf) is basically inaccessible to everyone. 

As I referred to yesterday, I would compare this to Aqua Golf. You don't need ability. A quick google for Penrith Aqua Golf brought up this image, to give you an example:

285711.jpg

8 hours ago, Ranger Dude said:

I get the whole 'similar to a bowling alley' thing... But $35 million!? That's a serious amount of coin for a glammed up driving range. I can't imagine there are many $35 million bowling alleys around!

A quick google determined the average cost of ONE bowling lane is about $50,000, with additional costs for install. This means a 20 lane alley is going to cost you $1m just for the lanes, then you need building, balls, pins, and alot of other hardware. The building we're talking about here for top golf is at least three storeys if the press release is anything to go by, and in addition to all the facilities for each tee (which all appear to be electronic) and a bar and possibly other entertainment facilities as well, they also have to landscape a fair wack of land for the range itself. I don't think the pricepoint is out of the question, but the cost itself isn't in the written media release. 

The only other 'maybe' thought I had is that 'maybe' the price is for all 8 facilities they plan on opening...? just a thought.

39 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

What a waste of good park money. I'm sure the golf fans will like it though.

Village Roadshow Limited is the signatory on this deal, not the subsidiary - VIllage Roadshow THEME PARKS. Village Roadshow holds a diversified portfolio of entertainment assets including Theme Parks, Cinema Exhibition, Film Distribution, Film Production and Marketing Solutions. Few people are crying foul for Ardent's Main Event centres - which also seems to be making them a bunch of money - which they then of course can use to develop other assets or build new ones too - why should Village be any different?

A golf driving range? Seriously? Very disappointed. Will it cost extra? Do you hire or bring clubs? My absolute love for MovieWorld just took a small dive into huh? Wha? 

It's time they put money into a huge Universal Studios type ride.

Oops, is this the wrong forum for this? 

Edited by UpperCoomera
Oopsie

Awesome concept.

people need to stop thinking of it as just a driving range, because it's not. As few have mentioned, it's family friendly, great for a few drinks with friends, will be popular with teens, and will be a VERY popular corporate venue. 

As Alex pointed out, Penrith Aqua Golf was all the rage when I was growing up in Sydney, you had Sharkies on the way out to Wonderland as well. 

I haven't played a game of golf in over a decade, but I'll be visiting this place without doubt. 

1 hour ago, UpperCoomera said:

A golf driving range? Seriously? Very disappointed. Will it cost extra? Do you hire or bring clubs? My absolute love for MovieWorld just took a small dive into huh? Wha? 

It's time they put money into a huge Universal Studios type ride.

Oops, is this the wrong forum for this? 

You are being short sighted about the vision for the concept.

it really has nothing to do with MW other than being located next to it and it having a common owner. 

Of course it will cost extra, it's not inside the park. 

15 hours ago, Troy81 said:

I drove past Movie World today and noticed that there was excavtors and temporary/construction fencing out the back heading towards Paradise Country.  I assumed it may be where the resort/hotel was going.  If any of you regular visitors  to Movie World want to try and get some photos of this area it would be great.  I am happy to follow any construction going on around our theme parks, not just updates on rides.

That would be Asgard being constructed for Thor 3.

image.jpeg

Edited by Brad2912

54 minutes ago, pin142 said:

This looks to be as included in your entry to Movie World as what Outback Spectacular is so will it cost extra? Yes, hire or bring clubs? can see both as an option.

I don't think it is. I think it's a seperate thing, that as said, is just next to the park. And as its a part of the VRTP, MW were the ones to announce it as they get more attention on social media. I'd say like all golf courses, you can bring or hire clubs.

Yeah it would be like Universal Studios announcing their new waterpark, having Universal attracted gets more attention than just a new water park coming to Universal. 

I'd be interested to see actually once a hotel gets built what they will end up calling it, Warner Bros. Resort, Movie World or leverage the VRTP name and call it Village Resort/Village Roadshow Resort. 

For all those complaining, TopGolf is not a golf driving range in the true sense of the words.

TopGolf is more focused on all age groups, with minimal golfing experience required. The balls are microchipped, so I imagine a monitor similar to those in bowling alleys will tell you the power, speed, distance etc. of your drive.

I believe I also read somewhere that it has a dartboard-like target form of a "game", with the aim being accuracy and power. Sort of like a massive bowling alley I guess.

And for those complaining about "what a waste of park money", firstly the precinct will not be a part of either WBMW or WnW (well, as far as we've been lead to believe). This is an entirely separate precinct, with the aim of making the entire area around the parks an entertainment hub.

Also, TopGolf is not targeted in the same way as a theme park is. You don't spend a whole day at a bowling alley like you would at a theme park. I imagine that this precinct will have a variety of other attractions in and around it, all of which will be things like bowling alleys, cinemas, gaming arcades - the kind of things where you spend an hour, not a day.

I think this will be very beneficial overall for VRTP. Imagine it - on a holiday to the Gold Coast, you could stay in the new hotel, get your Super Pass, you're right next to WnW and WBMW. Plus it's not too far if you're keen for SW or DW. And then when you're not at the beach or the theme parks, there will be a precinct of fun things to waste an hour or two. I don't see what everyone's problem is. If you don't like golf, then don't go to TopGolf. Pretty simple.

And if it was attached to MW, it wouldn't be the best decision in my opinion. "Come on kids, let's go to Movie World and play golf". Not something I'd hear people say. I think this is a great idea, and will really add to the area, and will definitely be something I'd try. I love a game of mini golf, and for the first time a few months ago I went and played golf, and I surprisingly really enjoyed it. So I think, much like bowling, it will be somewhere you can go, challenge your mates, have a drink and something to eat and have a good time. Money well spent I think. And with a hotel to come, it will really bring the whole area together.

Does this look cool?  Hell yes...

Even the driving range and mini golf in Spring Hill is always popular on a Friday and Saturday night and that is a driving range in the normal sense...

Does it appeal to me?  Hell no...

Clubbing, drinking, golf...  Not my cup of tea...

Would I go with friends / mates for a night out?  Hell yes...

Any excuse to hang out with friends and check out the local wildlife...

I hope it is incorporated as part of a/the larger entertainment precinct in that area...  Hotel, TopGolf, AOS...

8 minutes ago, AlexB said:

So something I haven't been able to see anywhere yet - all of their tees appear to be set up for right handers. What do they do for southpaws?

There is 2 holes in the mat, one on the right and one on the left. The tee sits under the mat so if you're left handed, you simply move the tee to the other side. 

6 hours ago, skeetafly said:

I thought they said it was going to cost around $20.00 an hour for a family to use the range.

if that's true than what an outrageous ripoff. i think we'll be sticking to the driving range just over the hill from us. sure it doesn't have a fancy restaurant and bar but you can bring your own clubs and it costs a few bucks for a whole bucket of balls which we can take our time hitting. oh even has a little mini golf course too. we don't need no driving range for yuppies. :P

Edited by bladex

1 hour ago, bladex said:

if that's true than what an outrageous ripoff. i think we'll be sticking to the driving range just over the hill from us. sure it doesn't have a fancy restaurant and bar but you can bring your own clubs and it costs a few bucks for a whole bucket of balls which we can take our time hitting. oh even has a little mini golf course too. we don't need no driving range for yuppies. :P

An outrageous rip off? $20 for a family for an hour? Which world do you live in where that is a rip off? A trip to the movies for a family costs $100 these days.. 

I haven't seen it officially anywhere that you can't bring your own clubs, and would seriously doubt that is the case. 

how many balls do you think a family of 5 will hit in one hour? and once you hour is up that's it it's either pay for more hours or GTFO.

as i said driving range for yuppies

and movies lol who goes to movies these days we wait till it's on on brd and watch it in peace we can even take maccas in there and eat it. :lol:

Edited by bladex

Looking at the US pricing, I think $20 will be during the morning hours and getting more up to like $50 for an hour at night.  Possibly more expensive, not sure that Australia is going to be cheaper than the US on this.

If they're going to have a hotel, they need entertainment options, particularly at night.  This is part of that solution and I think a bit more exciting than just building a cinema or bowling alley.  Realistically MovieWorld and DreamWorld are in the middle of nowhere with nothing around them, not that tourist friendly outside of just the parks themselves.  They need to build in other things to do.  I get the impression other shopping and restaurants will be built along with the hotel.  (Think Universal CityWalk or a Downtown Disney but not on that scale.)

Still not sure I'd want to stay in the area though.  You can stay on the beach at Surfers pretty cheaply and get to the parks very easily, which provides endlessly more to do of an evening.  Some of these problems will be solved if they get better public transport at night.