Dreamworld reopening - the summer season

wipeout94

20 minutes ago, Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ said:

I Hope HWSW Is Smooth When It Opens

I'd say it would be, but it depends on your definition of smooth. From what I've read it looks like they're smoothening out all the tiny bumps and rattles you get, however it's impossible to smoothen out the awful transitions without tearing down track. It's going to be jarring no matter what, although it does sound like they're trying to eliminate all rattle.

Buzzsaw's track has a massive rattle (the train probably contributes to that too), that seems to be the sort of roughness they're trying to eliminate on HWSW. I remember when Buzzsaw was a newer ride it was much more smoother, now it does rattle you around a lot, especially at the back. Guess that's why B&M rides are so expensive, it takes a long time for them to develop roughness like this.

Has anyone also noticed the extra pracautions ride attendants take.

For example, on the claw, multiple times they have released the harnesses and double checked them. I also asked why this was and was told they have to do it.

On the buzzsaw they have also done this multiple times. Also, once the gates opened slowly so they got all the riders off the ride, completed a full test cycle and than got us on again.

Just now, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Has anyone also noticed the extra pracautions ride attendants take.

For example, on the claw, multiple times they have released the harnesses and double checked them. I also asked why this was and was told they have to do it.

On the buzzsaw they have also done this multiple times. Also, once the gates opened slowly so they got all the riders off the ride, completed a full test cycle and than got us on again.

They would be taking EXTRA precaution until they find out what the cause of the deaths were and if Dreamworld were neglegent with maintenance. Id say its what they've been told, if theres any small difference on a ride cycle then they must test it before any new passengers get on.

1 hour ago, WipeoutDreamworldFan said:

Was Wipeout testing in actual cycles or just slowly moving the arms, gondola etc? I'm hoping that they change it back to the original cycle as i find the one they changed it too after the revamp too short and stops and starts too many times, that's just my opinion :)

All at full speed..

They were testing the individual segments of the typical cycle. So the ride rolled upward and swang as it does.  It then stopped after say two revolutions. There was a big stall whilst the Gondola appeared to be manually adjusted to it's position. It would perform it's next maneuver and then stop for a minute or two whilst slowly positioning and would then move on to the next part of the cycle.

I was waiting to ride Tailspin when the testing began. Interesting the two ride's Attendants pointed something out regarding it's operation to each other once I was seated and had my back to it. They appeared rather curious as to what was happening but sorry I couldn't see.

It looked essentially the standard ride cycle with big breaks in between each part. Overall the ride was operating smoothly and sounding in as good of a shape as it has in years.

14 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Has anyone seen any testing of the Shockwave yet, I would of thought it would have been one of the first few to re-open.

I have reason to believe that they are in the process of upgrading the standard Zamperla restraint system to ensure an extra level of safety. Will probably be one of the last to reopen. 

6 hours ago, MickeyD said:

Extensive testing of the Wipeout has been taking place today. I expect it to reopen next

Yep. I Posted that yesterday ?

21 hours ago, MickeyD said:

All at full speed..

They were testing the individual segments of the typical cycle. So the ride rolled upward and swang as it does.  It then stopped after say two revolutions. There was a big stall whilst the Gondola appeared to be manually adjusted to it's position. It would perform it's next maneuver and then stop for a minute or two whilst slowly positioning and would then move on to the next part of the cycle.

I was waiting to ride Tailspin when the testing began. Interesting the two ride's Attendants pointed something out regarding it's operation to each other once I was seated and had my back to it. They appeared rather curious as to what was happening but sorry I couldn't see.

It looked essentially the standard ride cycle with big breaks in between each part. Overall the ride was operating smoothly and sounding in as good of a shape as it has in years.

Awesome, sounds like it's going well. Thanks for the info :)

I went to Dream World on Saturday afternoon from around 1 - 4pm, we renewed our season passes for $99 which is pretty good.

The kids section seamed relatively busy, but the Claw and Buzz Saw where pretty much walk straight on, in fact we were the only ones in the queue at Buzz Saw on numerous occasions, it was running with only two people on board at times.

I didn't notice any testing of any of the closed rides.

Visited the new Tiger Island which looked really good (it's been about 8 months since I've been to DW) and that was near capacity for the 3.30 show.  I'll head back one night this week to see the fire show before it finishes.

So while it wasn't a ghost town, it was pretty quiet given it's summer holidays and a weekend.

Also, how do the dodge 'em cars work at DW?  Usually dodge 'em cars have a big 'antenna' that contacts the roof but DW's don't.  Surely they don't run on batteries, do they some how get charge through the floor?

2 hours ago, mission said:

Also, how do the dodge 'em cars work at DW?  Usually dodge 'em cars have a big 'antenna' that contacts the roof but DW's don't.  Surely they don't run on batteries, do they some how get charge through the floor?

This website https://greatrides.en.alibaba.com/product/60416635428-801271183/kids_electric_bumper_car_without_antenna.html that is selling bumper cars like dreamworlds suggest that it runs on electricity

I realise they are electric - I wasn't sure if they run on batteries (doubtful) or somehow get electricity through the floor (likely).

Anyway wiki confirmed it is through the floor:

• A newer method uses alternating strips of metal across the floor separated by insulating spacers, and no ceiling grid.[2] The alternating strips carry the supply current, and the cars are large enough so that the vehicle body can always cover at least two strips at any one time. An array of brushes under each car make random contact with whatever strip is below, and the voltage polarity on each contact is sorted out to always provide a correct and complete circuit to operate the vehicle.

A ceiling grid bumper car draws current from the ceiling grid through a hot rod and the current drives a motor in bumper car body. When the motor is activated, it drives wheels to rotate through a belt.

A floor grid bumper car draws power from the conductive floor, conductive brushes under the vehicles setting properly to cover any two strips mounted opposite polarities. That ensures to form a complete circuit.

A battery powered bumper car is powered by batteries inside the car, the batteries are rechargeable and dischargeable. When the switch is on, devices in bumper car body forms a complete circuit.

http://bestonbumpercars.com/how-do-bumper-cars-work/

21 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

It would make absolutely no sense to me if the park was anywhere near as busy as usual. Why would anyone expect it to be? Two major rides are permanently closed and plenty of others are still down for safety checks. The park is a fraction of its former self, for now.

For a lot of people, this is their only time of year that they even consider going to the park. Some are here from interstate with rental cars, some are on family holidays and are visiting from as far away as Coffs, Toowoomba & Noosa.

• Gazza locked this topic