Parkz News

Parkz News
Are Australian theme park rides safe?

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, djrappa said:

It's simple. Everything is a stoppage. There is no such thing as a Break Down on a ride unless something catastrophic happens because the rides stop before there is a failure of components. 

So everything is a stoppage. Whether it be for a minute or an hour. Everytime a ride stops it's 'normal'. It's working as intended. You just didn't get to complete the ride. 

How do you, as a quest, know what has happened is the issue though? it's not like you are told something broke, something failed, or it just needed to be reset, etc so you can't really be educated on the difference between a stoppage and a break down, especially in the case of being evacuated off the ride. You aren't going to walk away thinking it was just a normal stoppage, if you were asked by the media to comment, you'd be more likely to hear the ride broke down. That's the problem. It's kind of a lie without lying, telling everyone everything is fine, everything is normal hasn't worked very well so far, so continuing to call everything a stoppage is not the answer either.

Edited by Levithian

Well because you should feel safe going to a park and assuming that anything that happens is perfectly normal. 

We've been doing it for decades, what I more puzzling is why in the last couple years it's all "omg the sky is falling" when your carriage stops. 

Hell I remember we just used to laugh when you stopped, you knew it wasn't the regular operation of the ride and it was just funny that it happened. 

15 hours ago, mission said:

It's good that you did it and my opinion that it seems one sided is just that, my opinion.

Some opinions are just more correct than others :P

^^to the point that enthusiasts actually pray for (and actively do things to cause) 'non regular operation' to experience something different:

• Loading up your car with big blokes on Space Mountain so you're overweight and get redirected.
  • Aiming for the first ride of the day on Superman so you can get a rollback
  • etc

I think social media plays a large part in this though. Back in my days at Wonderland - it was rare that anything made the evening news - I think even when the Demon snapped it's cable, nothing made the nightly news, and few people who weren't at the park knew about it at all. There was probably an article in a local rag a few days later as news got out, but nobody thought it was unsafe, and once it was repaired (which took a while!) everyone was back on it.

These days, it'd have been on facebook media sites within minutes, with live streams from guests in the park.

I know i'm just saying what we all know already - but social media is the day we live in - the parks need to have good social media management and they need to actively reply to posts or articles with tangible evidence that disproves the 'chicken littles' out there - the suggested 'educational videos' would be great to add in reply for 99% of incidents.

For the 1% that aren't normal (GL wheel assembly, Smiler, TRRR) it wouldn't be that easy, but for the rest it would.

12 hours ago, djrappa said:

Hell I remember we just used to laugh when you stopped, you knew it wasn't the regular operation of the ride and it was just funny that it happened. 

Ahh they were the days.

See, i'm shits-cared of heights, but i'm not scared of going on rides like Giant Drop for the simple fact that the processes and redundancies in place that makes a ride like that possible in a world of litigation and insurance policies basically dictates the crazy safety measures that keep folks like you or I safe.

22 minutes ago, Slick said:

See, i'm shits-cared of heights, but i'm not scared of going on rides like Giant Drop for the simple fact that the processes and redundancies in place that makes a ride like that possible in a world of litigation and insurance policies basically dictates the crazy safety measures that keep folks like you or I safe.

^This.

I can be scared shitless of heights at times, to the point where I find two steps up a ladder to be a daunting task. Yet people always ask how I can manage to go on a ride such as Tower of Terror or Superman Escape without being frightened while still claiming to be scared of heights. 

These rides just make me feel safe. I feel completely secure when I'm on a ride such as Arkham Asylum or the Giant Drop. There's just nothing about the rides that makes me feel a sense of worry or distress.

That said thought, waterslides still scare me. Dropping down on the Aqualoop with only a pool of water to stop me? That's a challenge...