Dreamworld - 2017 "exciting" "experiences"

themagician

22 hours ago, T-bone said:

I understand its probably just a temp attraction, but man that corner of the park is just a hodge podge of a mess, and has been for too long now. 
It's time to wipe out Evilution, the Arcade, and what remains of the Thunderbolt station and do something clean and fresh there. Heck since they want to be all about experiences and family, lets expand the Dreamworks footprint and put in a Dreamworks dark ride.

It's just temporary for the Xmas period.

3 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I think Village buying Dreamworld would be almost the worst possible outcome  (2nd only to a developer buying it to close down and demolish).

Competition in the local theme park market is a very good thing indeed, so ANY experienced theme park operator EXCEPT Village would be far better to buy Dreamworld. 

So Sunway would be acceptable?

4 minutes ago, Evie said:

It's just temporary for the Xmas period.

What is @Evie? That new structure or Zombie Evolution? 

The Zombie maze was a bit of fun for a couple of visits but after this Xmas period it's time to go. I'm with @Roachie, that whole area is just a great big jumble and has been for too long.

Some ideas for placemaking the area; Rip out Flowrider and put it over at WWW where it belongs. Move WWW DW entry south west out of the old TBolt Q.

Re-theme the area to a 'Sea-side boardwalk' with Carnival Games and food - only better food truck style quality. Theme is cohesive with Ocean Parade and DW could do it before SW does! 

Shut down the Car Museum and put a classic 'Ghost Train' dark ride in. A perfect 'experience' that DW can afford and desperately needs. They already have the building after all.

Tear down HWSW and junk it. Put a Custom Woody in that would cover over the land expanse from the Arcade, Zombie, old T/Bolt Q, part of the Boneyard and existing HWSW footprint. Call it 'Thunderbolt'.

14 hours ago, Minions! said:

The Reason for this closure is due to the Gear Box breaking, and needs to have it's Mechanisms completely inspected to find any other causes, but it's most likely water from the heavy downpour a few weeks ago. Adding on to that the parts arrive which usually takes a fair period time

Just no

Its a damn carousel, excuses need to stop being made for their aging, poorly maintained piles of crap rides just sitting idle because of this or that. 

1) the gearbox shouldn't break

2) if it does, get it sorted and reopen. 

Closed for months for a damn kiddy ride. Ffs

• Like 3

At the park now and absolutely LOVE the new upcharge attraction 

$20 for 15 minute tinny hire on the river, including high-vis shirt hire! 

Half price discount if you take a net and remove some algae while you are out there 

9970702D-6CD5-47C1-8D4B-C32660CCDEEE.jpeg

And the kangaroos and emu’s have recently been replaced with.. bobcats.. 

21EF0D17-520D-4536-96B4-6F6A680FE591.jpeg

6 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up Merlin. They've already invested in tourist attractions in Sydney and Melbourne, and unless they are in a position to possibly open up a Legoland on the Gold Coast in the future, Dreamworld would make a great addition to their portfolio. 

I mean if Merlin buys it, at least they have the experience of a theme park having a major "incident"...

6 hours ago, stellaclose said:

So Sunway would be acceptable?

Is that the operator of Sunway Lagoon in Kuala Lumpur? I've been there. The water park is pretty good (although not as good as Wet & Wild Gold Coast).

I've been to the dry theme park too but don't remember anything much about it. That probably means it's fairly forgettable!

Edited by pushbutton

3 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Is that the operator of Sunway Lagoon in Kuala Lumpur? I've been there. The water park is pretty good (although not as good as Wet & Wild Gold Coast).

I've been to the dry theme park too but don't remember anything much about it. That probably means it's fairly forgettable!

Sunway is the operator of that park but what they are best known for and what stellaclose was likely getting at is they were the ones who purchased and then closed wonderland sydney after running it into the ground through their poor management and lack of investing in new attractions.

• Like 2

Actually you're wrong.

Within theme park enthusiast circles, and limited mostly to the east coast of Australia, the Wonderland connection would be the first and primary reaction to the Sunway group.

That doesn't make it 'what they are best known for' across the board.

A left field example, but if I asked everyone here what Manitowoc was best known for, there'll be quite a lot of people that would have never heard of it. Other responses would include:

1. Ice Machines
  2. Cranes
  3. The landing of Sputnik 4
  4. Shipbuilding

And they would all be correct (Go google Manitowoc Wisconsin for hours of exciting historical reading)

I always love hearing the conspiracy theories that abound the Wonderland closure. I'll certainly pay the 'lack of new attractions' bit, but I love those who criticise it as mismanagement without knowing a thing about what happened.

I Have a few things to say about the following

6 hours ago, MickeyD said:

The Zombie maze was a bit of fun for a couple of visits but after this Xmas period it's time to go. I'm with @Roachie, that whole area is just a great big jumble and has been for too long.

Some ideas for placemaking the area; Rip out Flowrider and put it over at WWW where it belongs. Move WWW DW entry south west out of the old TBolt Q.

Re-theme the area to a 'Sea-side boardwalk' with Carnival Games and food - only better food truck style quality. Theme is cohesive with Ocean Parade and DW could do it before SW does! 

Shut down the Car Museum and put a classic 'Ghost Train' dark ride in. A perfect 'experience' that DW can afford and desperately needs. They already have the building after all.

Tear down HWSW and junk it. Put a Custom Woody in that would cover over the land expanse from the Arcade, Zombie, old T/Bolt Q, part of the Boneyard and existing HWSW footprint. Call it 'Thunderbolt'.

You are really missing the point for what Dreamworld Currently stands for and some of the things listed above are very unrealistic.

4 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

21EF0D17-520D-4536-96B4-6F6A680FE591.jpeg

I was informed by management, Corroboree Stage 2.

6 hours ago, djrappa said:

Just no

Its a damn carousel, excuses need to stop being made for their aging, poorly maintained piles of crap rides just sitting idle because of this or that. 

1) the gearbox shouldn't break

2) if it does, get it sorted and reopen. 

If you don't like the state of the rides in your perspective, than that's your opinion, But the Rides are CERTAINLY Maintained and are closed for your safety, to insure YOU don't get hurt or worse, on any of the attractions. Yes things do break, and it's a moving machine in which every machine has technical and operational problems.

7 hours ago, MickeyD said:

The structure is temporary, it's just for over Xmas.

2 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

Seriously though, what the hell is he actually doing in the river with a black sack? Surely not just cleaning it! 

Does this have anything to do with the fenced off area of the old riverboat station?

The fenced off area is where a new ABC ride is going in.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2017 at 10:42 PM, MickeyD said:

Could someone else here care to elaborate on the complexity of a standard fairground Carousel because frankly I'm just a little lost for words right now.

Theres really nothing modern about it. They are still a fairly involving system of gears that hasnt really changed much in design since the turn of last century. They all have a couple of big slewing gears that could be a nightmare if you had to replace one. Would require a lot of dismantling as a real common design used by lots of manufacturers incorporates it into the mast. Chance rides are one of the biggest companies i can think of. They do multi tier ones! Theyll have manuals and photos online to see more detail i reckon. It could actually end up being a pretty major job if that is true and gears may need to be reproduced.

On 03/11/2017 at 9:46 AM, djrappa said:

Forgetting when movieworld had theirs closed for months a couple of years ago?

Edited by Levithian

Remember when you used to go to DW and you wanted to take photos of rides or scenery etc and used to get frustrated because people kept walking in front of you just as you were about to take the ‘moneyshot’...

... these days you purposely wait for someone to walk into frame and then take the shot to prove you ain’t the only person in the park....