Tim Dasco

Sea World - Castaway Reef 2017

141 posts in this topic

So I am surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. But Sea World did a live stream this morning about the polar bear cub and announced a few things. The most exciting will be Castaway Reef which is the new splash pad area which will be a multi million dollar attraction opening in October this year. Along with the Sea Jellies opening next April, the new Sea Lion show and the VR replacement in 2019. So hopefully we see SW transform back into its former glory. 

Edited by Tim Dasco

Damn. Was getting my hopes up for something Virtual Reality related. If they could work out how to waterproof the Gear Vr, Both Storm and JR could lend themselves well to the concept.  Storm could have the track built by the storm as you fly around and JR would have you Jet Skiing around the coast (Bonus points for the GC coast).

From a financial and outside standpoint, i agree. But when it's done right it can revive an old ride ala Kraken at Sea World.

Mentally i've been racking around a way to implement VR/AR into Scooby for the better part of 6 or so months, and the ideas for Storm/JR i entirely fleshed out in the time it took to write the first 2 sentences. Hell in the time it took to write out the last sentence i came up with a VR/AR concept for WWF.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:40 PM, Tim Dasco said:

The most exciting will be Castaway Reef which is the new splash pad area which will be a multi million dollar attraction opening in October this year. 

Wait they are spending Millions on the splash pad how will that work how will a splash pad cost millions.

4 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

It could really be anything. It could even be something like Pipline Plunge (WWW) or Kahuna falls (AW) they cost around 3 million or it could be small stuff. It's unknown the scale at this time.

I wouldn't call pipeline plunge a splash pad considering it is called a water playground.

NearMap image of Castaway Reef construction as of 28/8/17

59bb82d8b9c7d_Seaworldsplashreef.thumb.png.7d07dcf219e82eb2eeb68f27ca1d77f4.png

*They are clearly re-purposing the old wading pool for the "splash pad"

Edited by rac2703
  • Like 2