• A complete removal of the Vikings Revenge
    • New rollercoaster/flat ride
    • Refurbished/new waterpark
    • New shows and precincts
    • Renovate the Resort
    • Expansion
    • Nothing, its fine the way it is!

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Loki - daily pre-ride inspections usually involve maintenance checking certain points around the ride, usually pre-determined by the manufacturer - ie: check all safety pins are in place, check all harnesses lock down, and then depending on the ride - things like track walks to ensure it is free of obstruction and nothing is misplaced, and then running the ride in manual mode, making it do certain things to ensure it operates the way it is supposed to.

A safety audit is usually an external person with experience in site safety etc coming in to see that everything that should be in place, is in place - making sure regular maintenance is performed when it is supposed to, and identifying any hazards that exist. This isn't done daily. In a perfect world, daily maintenance and annual refurbs done in house would be all that is required - however - when you do the same thing day in and day out you can get complacent. Safety audits are designed to ensure complacency doesn't happen, by letting a set of fresh eyes into the workspace to see things that people who do it daily might not see.

As a little side note - to give you an idea of a 'typical' sort of daily maintenance check, here is the daily maintenance check for the old Bush Beast at Wonderland:

Thanks Alex

Nice insight to park operations. I figured audits would be performed by a 3rd party.

• Richard changed the title to Viking's Revenge closure

Congratulations on making a post that will most likely get many people offside who love and adore what has been a stalwart attraction for the park for a very long time.

I disagree that it is boring, and for many, it is one of the first 'big thrills' you get growing up as a kid - with it's low height requirement, Mum or Dad can take you on for an awesome splash of fun.

4 minutes ago, AlexB said:

it is one of the first 'big thrills' you get growing up as a kid - with it's low height requirement, Mum or Dad can take you on for an awesome splash of fun.

Definitely! I have fond memories of being on there with my parents in the 80's, seated upfront, and ducking down to hide when it came to the drop lol. I thought it was terrifying back then ??

These days I have my own kidlets to experience it the way I did. My 12 year old likes it, but unfortunately my 7 year old still hasn't been on it as he is too chicken, haha. Hopefully he will change his mind one day! 

@AlexB is right, the Vikings Flume is a classic. Just because it doesn't cater to one age group (or, in this case, a specific person looking for thrills) it sure as heck doesn't mean that won't appeal to others ?

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

good they should get rid of this old boring ride and put something more new and exciting in it's place.

A lot of us would love every ride in every park to be a crazy thrill ride but it's really narrow minded and unrealistic to think that people like us are the only people who go to the parks. Especially at a place like Sea World, we are actually the vast minority.

I've learned to love the less thrilling attractions and now I can really appreciate them for what they are. Viking's Revenge is in the memories of thousands upon thousands of Australians, I know it is certainly one of my earliest memories along with the Bermuda triangle. I'd be sad to see it go, just like I was when Bermuda went.

Viking was definitely one of the first 'non little kid' rides I put both my girls on, probably both were about 3 years old.  The other being the Road Runner coaster at Movieworld.  

ETA: I also don't think I've ever been to Sea World without a huge queue for this ride, I know there's limited choice, which is some of the reason, but it still seriously pulls a crowd.

Edited by liz.wis

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

Congratulations on making a post that will most likely get many people offside who love and adore what has been a stalwart attraction for the park for a very long time.

Why can't somebody say it's boring.  Sometimes I don't get this site.  If somebody doesn't like a ride and would prefer to ride something else why can't he say so?

shit.JPG

The people always giving negative rep to people just because they have a different idea to yours just shows how narrow minded some people are on here.   Tends to be the same sheep that do it too.

I don’t like the ride either and find it boring.  It’s short.  I have been on bigger slides then the final drop.   

If I took a 6-year-old on it, they would probably love it.  I find keeping a ride around because you once loved it when you were 6 a bit strange.  I would prefer a new ride to create new memories and new fun times.

I love how everyone is lamenting the loss of the ride and thinking it's never coming back despite no suggestions at all from the park this is happening. 

The ride went into maintenance before Dreamworld's incident. The fact that it doesn't have an opening date is likely the result of two things.

1 - Flume maintenance always seems to take parks longer than expected, whether it be DW, MW, or SW, they always seem to find something wrong with either a belt or a pump. 

2 - Given it was in maintenance before the DW incident, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's may have been staying closed slightly longer while waiting for the results of the audit. 

Given the audit is now complete for Sea World as far as I know, I bring you back to point one. It's maintenance. 

20 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Why can't somebody say it's boring.  Sometimes I don't get this site.  If somebody doesn't like a ride and would prefer to ride something else why can't he say so?

The people always giving negative rep to people just because they have a different idea to yours just shows how narrow minded some people are on here.   Tends to be the same sheep that do it too.  

To be fair, my negative reps on posts isn't me trying to say they're 'wrong' or anything personal. Just that i disagree and don't have much more to add other than what's been said. I also up rep on posts i agree with. I'd say others are in the same boat.
I mean, your points are valid, it could be much better in comparison to today's standards i agree. But IMO it's still a good ride, just hasn't aged the best and isn't high thrill.

I'm more of a lurker on here....so i tend to up/down rep instead of replying with my opinion.

But then i suppose that kinda misses the point of forums hey....

Edited by diesal11

That's correct @diesal11 a forum should be about discussion.  That’s the problem with giving somebody a neg rep.  It doesn’t add anything to the conversation and nobody knows why you gave it, if you don't add a post.  If you gave a neg rep them, you obviously had a thought about what was said so why not share it with us.

@reanimated35 Welcome back and don't leave me alone with @AlexB again.:P

Edited by YLFATEEKS

47 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

It's not necessarily because he said he didn't like the ride, more the way he said it, he came across to me as a thoughtless person who only cares about his own interests. If someone said "Yes, Vikings is getting old and while I understand it is a classic ride perhaps it is time for it to be moving on?" instead of "good they should get rid of this boring ride" I would be much more understanding.

Edited by Santa07
I think I'm drunk

1 minute ago, YLFATEEKS said:

That's correct @diesal11 a forum should be about discussion.  That’s the problem with giving somebody a neg rep.  It doesn’t add anything to the conversation and nobody knows why you gave it, if you don't add a post.

On the contrary, does 4 or 5 posts in a row saying the same thing add to the conversation anymore than pos/neg reps?

It's much of a muchness really. And for what it's worth instantly dismissing other peoples opinions as "simple minded" just because they've given a neg rep is kinda hypocritical.

Anyway this is getting off topic. Id be upset to see this ride go like any, but all rides have their time. Usually it makes room for more but in Sea World's case they've made a bit of a habit of removing and not replacing rides....

But as others have said i don't think it's time for Vikings just yet!

I agree with you

26 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

That's correct @diesal11 a forum should be about discussion.  That’s the problem with giving somebody a neg rep.  It doesn’t add anything to the conversation and nobody knows why you gave it, if you don't add a post.  If you gave a neg rep them, you obviously had a thought about what was said so why not share it with us.

@reanimated35 Welcome back and don't leave me alone with @AlexB again.:P

I agree whole heartedly. And while I may have been one of the down voters, I've seen the flaws in my ways and have changed it. But back on topic, I dont believe Vikings Revenge will close. I dont see why it needs to. Its a loved ride, enjoyed by many, fills the gap as first big thrill ride, and is a good ride for every body to cool off with. If we're talking Sea World, I would rather them putting money into new attractions over putting money into removing old ones. Sea World, needs just a few more family rides, maybe even a family thrill ride. But thats another topic of discussion.

42 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

I love how everyone is lamenting the loss of the ride and thinking it's never coming back despite no suggestions at all from the park this is happening. 

The ride went into maintenance before Dreamworld's incident. The fact that it doesn't have an opening date is likely the result of two things.

1 - Flume maintenance always seems to take parks longer than expected, whether it be DW, MW, or SW, they always seem to find something wrong with either a belt or a pump. 

2 - Given it was in maintenance before the DW incident, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's may have been staying closed slightly longer while waiting for the results of the audit. 

Given the audit is now complete for Sea World as far as I know, I bring you back to point one. It's maintenance. 

Agree. Its just maintenance. There is no need for a closure of the ride, there haven't been any accidents, I don't believe it costs them too much... (I could be wrong) so I would assume it is just maintenance

Edited by Intimidator305.

29 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

That's correct @diesal11 a forum should be about discussion.  That’s the problem with giving somebody a neg rep.  It doesn’t add anything to the conversation and nobody knows why you gave it, if you don't add a post.

I gotta agree with you, @YLFATEEKS.

Since we are on the topic, I have recently been on the end of one or two members continually to downvote all my posts without explanation, and for what seems to be the sake of it. This has included cases where reputation feedback wasn't really necessary, or made very little sense as to why they would be doing it. 

In these cases I have approached the members directly in hope of identifying what the ongoing issue is, and apologise if I had upset them to the point where they felt they had to act that way. However they just chose not to respond and back out of the conversation completely, which was disappointing ?

By all means, if you disagree with a post that much, then go ahead and downvote it. I don't expect everyone to like what I post, and it's going to be the same for others as well. But please, be fair and make the effort to provide an explanation every now and then. I don't see the point behind what is essentially rep trolling :/ 

While I personally find Viking's to be boring, I also see the other side to this whole argument.

The first time I visited SW at the age of about 3, I rode it non-stop all day. It's the kind of thrill that appeals to younger kids, and those who aren't ready for/into bigger thrills like Bermuda, Corkscrew, and nowadays Storm/JR. I'd be sad to see it go. While it's not my favourite ride by any stretch of the imagination, it's a classic, it's been around much longer than I have, and there's plenty of memories in it.

9 hours ago, jake_hunt said:

While I personally find Viking's to be boring, I also see the other side to this whole argument.

The first time I visited SW at the age of about 3, I rode it non-stop all day. It's the kind of thrill that appeals to younger kids, and those who aren't ready for/into bigger thrills like Bermuda, Corkscrew, and nowadays Storm/JR. I'd be sad to see it go. While it's not my favourite ride by any stretch of the imagination, it's a classic, it's been around much longer than I have, and there's plenty of memories in it.

This is exactly the right comment and what should have been first posted. You don't like it, fine. But just because you don't doesn't mean it should go, that's why so many people will have downvoted it. 

Yes the ride holds nostalgic memories for many but it is currently doing so for a brand new generation because it does exactly what it's designed to for the park, provide that first thrill for children, be a ride the whole family goes on together and a ride for people who don't like high thrills. With BT gone it's the only ride left in the park that fits that bill because many people find SC too thrilling. 

Also replacing it with something more exciting. Like what exactly because I wouldn't expect the thrill level to be any higher than the fluke provides for the reasons already outlined. 

Plus as has been pointed out it's one of the busiest rides in the park, that's for a reason, same as to why SDSC is one of the busiest at MW. 

You don't like it, fine, but accept it fills an important gap the park desperately needs. 

Aside from being manufacturer specification etc does anyone have insight into why Vikings is a 95cm height restriction vs Log ride which has the age restriction of over 1 year old? 

I've taken one of my kids on the Log ride since not long after her 1st birthday. She's 3 in a few weeks, tall enough for all the new rides at Seaworld, but too short for Vikings still. My youngest will likely not even be 70cm by the time she turns 1 and can go on the Log ride.

On 10/11/2016 at 0:38 PM, AlexB said:

i don't care this is a forum in forums you speak your mind. so get off your high horse. think i care about a stupid number under my name that does NOTHING?!

On 11/10/2016 at 5:34 PM, reanimated35 said:

Granted, if a ride is closed for maintenance indefinitely at SW then it's logical for people to think it won't come back. It's already happened with two rides, and the fact that Vikings is closed for maintenance indefinitely might be just a sign that it might be closing for good.