DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I've also never seen Batman fly into space on his Batwing either, nor is he strapped onto the outside of it when it flys. 

Isn't MovieWorld all about the imagination? 

Actually in Batman and Robin, Mr Freeze traps Robin or batman (Can't remember) In his rocket. Should of named it Mr Freezes Rocket ship. 

40 minutes ago, Prequel said:

Actually in Batman and Robin, Mr Freeze traps Robin or batman (Can't remember) In his rocket. Should of named it Mr Freezes Rocket ship. 

even as a batman tragic I pretend that movie barely exists...

So, it's not info or news relevant enough to start a new thread over so I'll post it here.

An outgoing Warner Bros executive confirmed today that in 2018 we will see a re-imagining of Scooby Doo hit the screens. 

I think late 2018/early 2019 would be an awesome time to Scooby to get a major refurb, with new/refreshed theming, new elements in the 'disco room' and (please!!) new queue videos. 

Make it a Scooby for the next generation

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

So, it's not info or news relevant enough to start a new thread over so I'll post it here.

An outgoing Warner Bros executive confirmed today that in 2018 we will see a re-imagining of Scooby Doo hit the screens. 

I think late 2018/early 2019 would be an awesome time to Scooby to get a major refurb, with new/refreshed theming, new elements in the 'disco room' and (please!!) new queue videos. 

^

I haven't been to MW in over a year, but I'd seriously suggest MW upgrade what is arguably its most popular ride, which is now just over 14 years old. On my visit, much of the Scooby theming, while it has aged quite well in comparison to theming elements at DW, is showing signs of age and the styrofoam interiors of the castle is in relatively rough shape. Perhaps the ride could be re-themed to the original cartoon instead of the forgettable 2002 film with Rowan Atkinson as the villain. And god help me, please update the queue video or remove it full stop. It's a lot better if a shitty behind the scenes video is gone than it is that same video played on continuous loop while you wait for over an hour (which becomes unbearable after the third time the video plays.

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

You seem to have confused Batman and Robin with BvS.

Well September 2019 marks 50 years since the show first aired. But it would also be nice to have the ride look more like the one in the movie. Due to there being no room in the first half, they could extend that mirror bit out about 10m and throw in maybe the Bookcase Room and the Feast Rooms from the movie and make the elevator look a bit more like a traditional elevator. So then when you go backwards you can make it look like you fell out that window they jump out of. I'd also fill that first room of the 3rd act after the brake run with a ton of smoke and project the Scooby logo onto it or something. The resulting fog will make that room more dense and give a bit more of a surprise when you see the giant cave face staring at you surrounded by a light drifting fog.

Basically a pipe dream of theming.

Also instead of a video, they could arrange statues of the classics like they did for the 2nd movie to place everywhere.

42 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Perhaps the ride could be re-themed to the original cartoon instead of the forgettable 2002 film with Rowan Atkinson as the villain.

"Forgettable" I dare you to ask the main attendance of MW as to what they've seen more of. The 1969 original series or the 2002 movie. As far as their concerned every single monster utilized in the 2nd movie whether it be real or statue, was made for the film and didn't exist prior. When i use the term Captain Cutler when talking to friends about Scoob, nobody (even adults who grew up with it) knows who i'm talking about unless i show them the photo from MU. (The only monster created solely for the movie was the Cotton Candy Glob).

Also that's a VERY expensive refurb for a still recent movie. You're talking about complete train retheme/build, Completely new theming AND story, plus new music.

I think what you said is more of a pipe dream than what i'd like to happen.

10 minutes ago, jjuttp said:

You seem to have confused Batman and Robin with BvS.

For all of BvS's numerous flaws (many of which are resolved in the directors extended cut) it is made to look like an academy award winner when compared to B&R. BvS suffered from poor editing and an overpowering jumble of a music score, B&R is just an abomination of a film with nothing going for it

8 hours ago, jjuttp said:

a VERY expensive refurb for a still recent movie.

I agree with everything you said except ^ that. How is a 2002 movie 'recent' ? Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets came out in 2002. That's the SECOND of EIGHT films. The Santa Clause 2 came out that year. Star Wars 2 (Attack of the Clones), Men In Black 2, The Ring, The original Ice Age...

Pierce Brosnan was still James Bond in Die Another Day, Mike Myers was still Austin Powers in Goldmember, Adam Sandler was Mr Deeds, Britney Spears released Crossroads and Sacha Baron Cohen released Ali G Indahouse.

Also in 2002 - The Queen Mother died, Avril Levigne released her debut album, the first ever American Idol premiered in the US giving us Kelly Clarkson, the commonwealth games were held in Manchester and the first Mozilla Firefox is released.

We are almost 15 years  past that. Some of the members on these forums weren't even alive when that film was released. Hardly 'recent' by any standard.

7 hours ago, bladex said:

to this day i don't understand how in the hell they could pick arnie to by mr freeze...

Simple - shit movie, star studded cast - people went to see it because of the names in it and the franchise it was attached to. By the time you realise it's shit, you've already started watching it.

Plus Arnie was probably short some cash at the time.

"POP's Coaster of Madness" you heard it here first LOL. Though I would have been happy to ride Harley Quinn or Wonder Woman all day.

What the theme will be is almost as interesting as how this coaster will turn out. Flash seems obvious though a little disingenuous as the Iewa World one is called that, albeit not using the IP (I'm still assuming this will be the same "type" of coaster as Flash, but feel free to surprise me Mack). And has people have observed previously, Flash is more appropriate for a launched coaster (maybe this will be a surprise), LOL I don't see the Flash lumbering up an almost-hyper height lift hill.

It's a shame Superman seems perfect for such a big (for Australia) coaster, and Flash seems perfect for a launched coaster, theme swap LOL.

The other thing worth remembering about Scooby is it's themed to a movie which was an absolute blockbuster, that was filmed at the studios, it's a rather good tie in.  I think updating it for a new film (which let's be honest has every chance of being shit) is a waste of time, because what ever boost you get from doing it, you also get from leaving the ride as is.  There are things I'd do to Scooby, but change the film it's based on isn't one of them.

As for Mr. Freeze in Batman & Robin, I'm just going to put it out there that Arnie is the only thing that makes that movie watchable.

Silverstone Booty Coaster FTW.

Personally, an N.W.A. inspired theme might be something different and a bit spicy: "Straight Outta Logan" (sorry, I've never heard good things), and the coaster is about escaping from such a place (disclaimer for people who read everything as literal on here: I am joking). 

16 hours ago, jjuttp said:

But it would also be nice to have the ride look more like the one in the movie. Due to there being no room in the first half, they could extend that mirror bit out about 10m and throw in maybe the Bookcase Room and the Feast Rooms from the movie

I was doing comparisons of Scooby-Doo footage with the Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster a while ago and it is extremely accurate. Some things have been moved around but it is very very accurate:

• The ride's exterior is very similar to the one in the movie (00:13)
  • The room where Daphne kicks the door open is Spooky Coaster's station (00:19)
  • The room Fred & Velma are originally in is the 1st section of the coaster (but with small drops) (00:36)
  • The Bookcase Room is the part with the swinging axes so it is in the ride (01:15)

'The Dinner Show' (your 'Feast Room') would be nice to be included but I don't know how would you get the food to fly past onto the wall next to the carriage.

20 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I think late 2018/early 2019 would be an awesome time to Scooby to get a major refurb, with new/refreshed theming...

17 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Perhaps the ride could be re-themed to the original cartoon instead of the forgettable 2002 film with Rowan Atkinson as the villain.

I doubt that would happen. The ride was built based on the 2002 movie & re-theming it to another part of the franchise (new movie/original cartoons) may prove not only expensive but difficult (even though re-theming sounds relatively easy).

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

I never said it was likely to happen, nor do I think it would be cheap or easy to retheme it, hence the words "major refurb" in my initial post (which you quoted). 

My thoughts are that in a few years we will be 15+ years since the release of the movie (yes I agree the ride is tied in very well) and parents who watched the movie when it came out will be taking their kids on the ride, who would never have seen the original and probably will only have the new movie as a reference point. 

I made a suggestion and I'll be honest, prior to posting, I didn't run the idea through a cost analysis, nor did I run any focus groups with potential post-2020 riders to see what they thought of it. My bad. 

the one thing to remember is that those great nostalgic films from our generation do have some staying power with our children's generation - part of the reason why PASS lasted so long - because things our Parents enjoy watching inevitably becomes something we enjoy too. 

So us as first generation to watch it will ensure we share it with the next generation... the tie in continues and then the kids see the attraction and recognise from the film, or vice versa.

Interview with the head of track devolopment & CEO of Mack. The CEO mentions the ride getting built at Movieworld at 9:30 & says it will be similar to Flash at Lewa with a custom layout. Nothing new to what we already assumed, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Edited by xRazzBerryx

In the video, I don't know if there is more context prior to 09:30 that makes it more understandable but why does he say it will be built 'next year' before correcting himself to saying 'this year'? It's not going to be built before the end of 2016 unless he means financial years which would be before 30th June 2017? If he actually meant 2016 and there is no extra context needed, I wonder why he said it?

4 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

In the video, I don't know if there is more context prior to 09:30 that makes it more understandable but why does he say it will be built 'next year' before correcting himself to saying 'this year'? It's not going to be built before the end of 2016 unless he means financial years which would be before 30th June 2017? If he actually meant 2016 and there is no extra context needed, I wonder why he said it?

I think maybe he was saying that they have built it. As in, they've built the track and it's ready for delivery. 

8 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

i don't think there is anything more worth trying to get out of the correction. Its unnecessary overanalysis, given the details we already know.

Technically it has started being built this year. If he said opened this year then I could see a problem with what was said. Also sounds like it might not be the only one they have being built with more appearing around the world. Good to hear in true style it is a customised coaster and not just a off the shelf and call it a day effort.

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic