DC Rivals HyperCoaster - soft open discussion

joz

I was reading through some of the comments on Facebook after MW announced the opening of the ride. There's the ones that ask about the intensity, ones tagging their friends, there's ones just doing the standard "I can't wait" type comments. You know, all the normal Facebook stuff. 

Then there's one I couldn't help but laugh at. I mean it's clearly a troll that hasn't had any of the reaction it's looking for. Well at least I assume it's a troll. Surely no one is that stupid and out of touch with the world of theme parks, or just the world in general, that they are really trying to compare literally the greatest rollercoaster in the Southern Hemisphere with an old, outdated, deteriorated ride like BT which isn't even in the same class of rides?! 

At least with their comment on AA they can recognise what a roller coaster actually is, so that's something. But even then AA can't hold a bar to Rivals at all.  

TROLL.thumb.jpg.993bf4ee1f7bb8b315ff806dd4e0c957.jpg

Having looked through photos again from yesterday, the only one thing I am a bit disappointed about (and isnt a major thing), is the theming on the queue and station walls. Because theyve put glass/perspex over the top of the print, it causes glare and you cant see it as well. Obviously it is to protect it from the elements and people, but I wish they used something else that wouldn't cause that glare. But besides that, everything else was great.

1 hour ago, themagician said:

Having looked through photos again from yesterday, the only one thing I am a bit disappointed about (and isnt a major thing), is the theming on the queue and station walls. Because theyve put glass/perspex over the top of the print, it causes glare and you cant see it as well. Obviously it is to protect it from the elements and people, but I wish they used something else that wouldn't cause that glare. But besides that, everything else was great.

Yeah @Aimsley81 mentioned that the other day too. I agree.

Funny that. Yesterday I was at Brisbane Airport and the VR for AA billboard was up, and I wondered if they'd put up a DCRivals one.

Lo and behold:

IMG_9276.thumb.JPG.69f8d9676bc1acb15810d8d71bd4d7a4.JPG

• Like 1

Finally got a 10th row ride & a backwards ride today. Amazing! 

So many unexpected forces while riding backwards & that first drop is definitely my favourite sitting in the back. Even after riding forwards a couple of times, I was still not ready for what was coming. At some points you think the coaster is slowing down then boom, you get hit with an intense corner & dive straight back down. 

10th row has to be my favourite facing forward. The first drop is awesome & coming out of the NIL is so intense. If you don't like intense rides however, the front would be a better option (even though the front is still pretty intense lol). 

Finally, let me just say I cannot wait for the shade to be added over the queue line 🙌:lol:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glubbo said:

Funny that. Yesterday I was at Brisbane Airport and the VR for AA billboard was up, and I wondered if they'd put up a DCRivals one.

Lo and behold:

IMG_9276.thumb.JPG.69f8d9676bc1acb15810d8d71bd4d7a4.JPG

@Glubbo  Just to clarify, is this billboard replacing the AA one or in addition?

Either way, I'll actually look forward to going to work just so I can see it!! 

On 9/19/2017 at 7:57 PM, Slick said:

Emailed the park yesterday, still haven't heard back.

I just want to tell cool stories and make sweet films, i'm not too fussed on whether or not i'm included or invited to VIP parties, and one of my niches that I do well is Point of View videos, and I think the park should capitalise on that.

Oh, I'm sure one of the execs has a kid with a GoPro that they will cable-tie crooked onto the front of the coaster pointing down at the track.  That's totally the same thing, isn't it?

This is why we can't have nice things. Idiots like that taking their phones onto a ride like that isn't a smart or safe idea. And if people keep doing it, or something does happen (Someone injured by a loose item), then it could see system change to like whats SE is, and we don't want that.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, themagician said:

This is why we can't have nice things. Idiots like that taking their phones onto a ride like that isn't a smart or safe idea. And if people keep doing it, or something does happen (Someone injured by a loose item), then it could see system change to like whats SE is, and we don't want that.

Very well said and I completely agree. That was one of the things I hated the most at the theme parks in California when I visited. And the ride attendants didn't care either. 

43 minutes ago, themagician said:

There is a really simple solution to this problem - Movie World should make a better POV video (or several) and release it/them.

People want videos of this ride because it is new and scarcity makes the videos more valuable encouraging idiots to do things like this. The best way to prevent people from doing things like this is to provide a better alternative.

This is something that Movie World may have planned after (or as part of) the official launch, but the solution is to make the risk greater than the reward.

After all, this guy's video is now posted on this forum and will get a lot of views as a result, so the reward will have been worth it for him.

• Like 1

Yeah, curious to know why they wouldn't at least try to mount it correctly. By the looks of things they've sent it to a bunch of media outlets - wouldn't you invest a little to showcase your multi multi multi million dollar ride in the best possible light? We're smart enough to know it doesn't ride like dogshit, but to the average guest...

• Like 1