The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

1 hour ago, themagician said:

@pin142 that would require completely rebuilding the station next to Shark Bay, or purifying an all new monorail to fit the current measurements. I doubt both of those will ever happen 

Bit of an over simplification, but couldn't they just lower the track for the maintenance bay, and cut a hole in the roof above the normal track? The lowering the track, in my completely non-expert opinion seems to be the expensive part but the benefits are quite vast, for such an iconic park transport ride. Also the cost could be funneled into the Atlantis budget for some creative accounting to justify it.

10 hours ago, aaronm said:

Cut off the roof, problem solved

Splendid idea! Welcome to the gold coast - where in warmer months, from October to March (you know, when its hot and you want the monorail air conditioned) it rains basically 1 in every 3 days, and we have tropical storms that break suddenly.

Although - put watertight seals on the doors and you've got next year's big water attraction... mobile spas!

37 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Bit of an over simplification, but couldn't they just lower the track for the maintenance bay, and cut a hole in the roof above the normal track? The lowering the track, in my completely non-expert opinion seems to be the expensive part but the benefits are quite vast, for such an iconic park transport ride. Also the cost could be funneled into the Atlantis budget for some creative accounting to justify it.

the maintenance bay track is about as low as you're going to get - and remember the Storm coaster construction, and all the issues they had with water tables and such - the table on the spit is pretty shallow, so digging isn't really an option. Cutting holes in the roof isn't really an option when what you're cutting would be structural - I can't find a pic right now, but i'm pretty certain the clearance under the new plaza rooftop is pretty tight at points. The rest of the course wouldn't be much of a problem at all.

I feel like the best solution would be to take one of the windows closer to the centre, and replace it with a slimline window mounted type unit, that protrudes minimally from the exterior, and also takes up a small amount of interior space.

The biggest issue with airconditioning the monorail is likely going to be power requirements, but they could potentially supplement these systems with solar?

• Like 1

Thanks @AlexB. The response I was after.

@themagician would a window fan work better? replace a few windows with a slimline box fan, with louvers to close in bad weather? as for the power.

Quick Edit: What if the AC Unit was retrofitted into the nosecone somehow?

Edited by Naazon

20 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Splendid idea! Welcome to the gold coast - where in warmer months, from October to March (you know, when its hot and you want the monorail air conditioned) it rains basically 1 in every 3 days, and we have tropical storms that break suddenly.

Might want to get your sarcasm filter checked chief 😉

3 hours ago, aaronm said:

Might want to get your sarcasm filter checked chief 😉

Or, if you'd quoted just one more line of my reply, suggesting converting the monorail to a mobile spa, you might've noticed something.

Might want to get yours checked out too buddy! :D

3 hours ago, joz said:

It's funny because back in the old days the made up excuse used to be it's a clearance issue with Corkscrew. Now apparently the line is it's a clearance issue with the stations.

I think anyone who actually thinks there's a clearance issue should also stay away from timeshare sales people and just be aware that the Prince of Nigeria doesn't need your help to transfer large sums of money.

As Brad mentioned above, the clearance at the plaza seems to be quite tight. I can't seem to find a single picture of the monorail going through there, but I swear i've seen one. As I mentioned, the plaza is the only tight clearance on the course, as far as i'm aware.

ETA: This is the best I can find. (Thanks @Slick)

image.png.376708047525b60929be42dede7809b8.png

The angle, and lighting, makes it hard to confirm, but it's not unreasonable for someone to view this clearance from the ground as being tight, and hardly worth ridicule.

An average roof mounted air con unit suitable for the size of the monorail cars is between 250-300mm

I look forward to someone visiting in the coming weeks and snapping a shot of the monorail exiting the plaza - perhaps shot from the Ray Reef for a better angle.

E-ETA - idiot. monorail won't be running. damn. more archive searching.

Edited by AlexB

I think the exit point (north side) is lower to shelter from the sun - since the sun is always on the north side - pretty certain the south end is a bit higher up.

I did see that pic (pretty certain its in the parkz database for the monorail) but as it's not near the end, I discarded it.

Ok, a little more digging, and here's a good 'drive through' video for the plaza roof.

With this video, it actually looks like the entry and exit points aren't the lowest clearance it has - some of the middle ribs seem closer.

It could, of course, be an optical illusion because of the angle - but here's another viewpoint:

https://youtu.be/emthJyrAkCw

2 hours ago, mickayel said:

Gone? What did I miss??

Well, not active - was all about having a dig at AlexB and his sudden interest in the clearance of the Monorail.

Got to agree @AlexB, I probably would too. I did originally support that person who's name we can't mention, as they just seemed to be poor at getting their message across. But it became clear after time that wasn't the case.

• Gazza locked this topic