The New Atlantis - Reviews & Reactions

themagician

3 hours ago, New display name said:
3 hours ago, red dragin said:

Is your boat 42 metres tall? 

The highest wind gust taken from the seaway tower in the morning was 13 knots.

At 2.98m AHD - http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60801/IDQ60801.94580.shtml

Good chance readings are very different along the shoreline between 3 & 42m, especially when the convection driven sea breeze kicks in. 

Edited by red dragin

Just had my first experience on Leviathan.

wow it packs a pinch from start to finish! Loved the intensity of it. Haven’t ridden a wooden coaster since Bush Beast so it’s been a while, but wow! Was also cool to take my son on his first ever woodie. 

operations are still a mess. We were in the queue (which was outside the entrance to the actual ride) at 9:15am so about 20th in line. They let us through to the external queue at about 9:50, internal queue at 10:20. 

The sorter seemed to be making up a system as he went along, moving people from the normal queue into the backwards queue to group them in a haphazard way.

Once you go through the internal you get the annoyance of thinking you are first in line so will get front seats only to be told the train fills from the rear so if you first in line you’re in the back row. As it turned out we ended up in row 2.

the pre-ride show is great, scared about 3 kids off the ride before it left the station haha. Best themed ride queue in the country by a mile, and a lot of fun.

only one train running. You end up seeing the pre-ride twice as they as letting 2 train loads into the station at a time. 

• Like 1

It’s certainly in the top 5 in Qld no doubt. 

I probably need a couple more rides of it and Steel Taipan to make a proper adjudication as I’ve only ridden each once.

if having to rank now I’d go:

DCR - SE - Levi - ST - JR

——————————————————

As for Trident, I don’t know how they fix the loading but it’s a shit show. 

been in the line for 50mins and they run 4 cycles. No breakdowns, that’s just how long it takes.

the fact the middle seat can only accommodate people under 140cm is ridiculous, as you then get groups of 4 of 5 that then need 2 or 3 rows of seats. Then screwing around sorting them out, doing up everyone’s belts. I mean why not just check they are done up like Sky Voyager rather than ride ops doing them up for you. Then you’ve got people with glasses who they have to hand out glasses straps to and wait while they attach them, and then detach them at the end. 

single rider queue doesn’t move (I’m fine with that, it’s a risky choice) but the fact they go around and ask the existing people “are you ok with someone sitting next to you?” Is just strange. 
it’s horrendous 

Edited by Brad2912

Yeah the whole point of single rider is if there is a gap you fill it. Asking people if they want some stranger sitting next to them is dumb. Of course 99% will say .no I don’t want that” don’t ask just do. 

also what’s “JR” I can’t think of it for some reason.

My top 5 rn is #1 DCR, #2 ST #3 SE #4 GL #5 GC (I am yet to ride Levi but I think it would be easy 3 tier.).  Gold coaster is only here because I love arrow and old rides in general. And I think SE would be higher but I only have ridden it a few times because the people I go to the parks with hate it for some reason and it’s line is always the longest on my trips.

most of my friends list’s (they are as GP as it gets) have #1 Scooby, #2 ST, #3 DCR , #4 GL, #5 Jet rescue. They have not been on Levi yet either. And they think DD is the best flat ever for some reason…

Edited by REGIE

I had my first ride on Leviathan on the 23rd.

I found it absolutely relentless from start to finish. The turns were sharp and wild, the first drop gave me great floater, and the pacing was excellent. My family seemed to find it intense but rough as well, I on the other hand didn’t experience that kind of discomfort.

Definitely the top woodie for me, although the only other one that i’ve been on (which even compares) would be Stampida at Portaventura. No competition from Scenic Railway or Wild Mouse here. It’s definitely my favourite ride at Seaworld. 

Vortex was quite a fun top spin as well, not as intense or as long as the one in IMG that I rode quite a while back during my trip to Dubai. Trident was closed due to “high winds”, but honestly when is the wind calm when you are situated in Main Beach.

I also want to point out that the queue’s theming for Levi is incredible, and completely thrashes any queue in Australia. I found it close to a Universal style of theming, and the New Atlantis as a whole reminded me of The Lost Continent at Universal Orlando.

Overall, giant win for Seaworld. Definitely have to visit the GC more often now (got a one pass recently so I have to!)

• Like 3

I think the trident operators are still very much new to the ride and probably need a bit of time before they feel comfortable operating it in wind or in general. Plus they are only really cycling 1 person a minute at the most  which is terrible 

Edited by REGIE

9 hours ago, REGIE said:

I think the trident operators are still very much new to the ride and probably need a bit of time before they feel comfortable operating it in wind or in general. Plus they are only really cycling 1 person a minute at the most  which is terrible 

Whether they operate it in the wind or not is not going to be a decision based on whoever operates it that day and how 'comfortable' they are; there will be a park determined cut-off point, probably following manufacturer's guidelines etc. The question is whether it would have been different if they'd gone with the original manufacturer, Funtime. It seems they switched to SBF Visa at the last minute for cost savings. I also don't recall Sky Flyer having so much downtime. And wouldn't you have determined this stuff before deciding on the ride make and model? Unless the wind regulation was imposed later through the regulatory/commissioning process?

First time visiting SW yesterday in many years to check out Levi and the Atlantis precinct. Overall a good day marred by some pretty frustrating operations. I remember reading somewhere that new policies/procedures have had an impact but whatever the cause, it made for incredibly long dispatch times and excruciatingly slow moving queues.

Levi is pretty relentless from start to finish. Seems like the main hill is the only semi reprieve. Fantastic layout with tonnes of fun pops of air right through to the end. The view at the top is phenomenal. Takes your breath away and you forget for a moment what’s ahead. I love the horn as the train dispatches that can be heard throughout the park along with the heartbeat sound. Great touch. The spiral queue audio could have a little more depth and variety considering the length of time you spend in the area.

Only one train running as has been reported elsewhere - not sure if this is an operational choice or maintenance but I caught a glimpse of some workers looking at the 2nd train in the shed.

The station is gorgeous. It could have been made more immersive with doors at the station exit/entry (a la Superman back in the day) as a lot of light bleeds in. I love how much the smoke adds to the atmosphere shortly after a train dispatched but it’s very short lived. Station audio was too quiet in the morning but it was turned up in the afternoon. I also wish that there were some more pre recorded load/unload announcements as staff yelling out over the show scenes ruins the immersion, but little things I suppose!

I really dislike that the show scene is prioritised over efficient dispatches. Especially on a busy day like yesterday. The scene immediately before dispatch is cool but not sure if it’s entirely worth it at the expense of extending the queue? It could be viewed as part of the ride, but with others in the station talking etc it kind of gets lost. The ride is perfectly capable of running two trains without stacking for too long if this was removed. Perhaps peak/offpeak settings would help here?

Backwards was intense. Glad I did it but definitely a one and done for me - came off feeing a bit sore! A plus was that I could properly hear the lift audio as the chain drowns it out towards the front of the train. Much prefer forward however backward seems to be making them a mint. A lot of trains had the row filled although no doubt most were using it to bypass the 2 hr queue it sat at for most of the day. 

Onto elsewhere in the park - JR was also running 1 train. I’m sure there’s a reason for this that I’ve missed in another thread but this meant that the ride was at 60-80 min for the majority of the day with the queue extending to the onride photo kiosk. On more than a few occasions the train would sit in load for 1-2 minutes before gates would open. Group sorting was also a little slow... Again not sure if there are new procedures affecting this but there didn’t seem to be much urgency.

Virtual Queue was near impossible to grab a slot. When I did for Levi (at 3hrs and 30 mins away) the app bugged out and my slot dropped off. It also didn’t hold on to my day ticket and I had to re enter it a couple of times.

Generally speaking the day was fine and Atlantis is a good addition that rounds out the park to a full day offer (again).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flea said:

I also wish that there were some more pre recorded load/unload announcements as staff yelling out over the show scenes ruins the immersion, but little things I suppose!

That’s interesting as there are pre-recorded audio spiels for everything you’d expect so surprise to hear staff were on the PA. That would detract a lot. 

52 minutes ago, REGIE said:

As for JR it’s run the last 6 months or more with just 1 train. I counted an average 7 minutes from when the train reached the unload to when it shot off again. Very slow queue. Not sure why this is. Is it that much harder to operate?

I'm thinking the reason why JR only now has one train is so it is safer, as the ride only goes for around 30 seconds. If it had 2 trains they might collide with each other so it is less of a risk now. Not sure about the long dispatch times but when I was at Sea World in early-August there was only one train.

3 hours ago, rappa said:

That’s interesting as there are pre-recorded audio spiels for everything you’d expect so surprise to hear staff were on the PA. That would detract a lot. 

Yeah the one I can remember was load instructions ie two per row and put loose items in the storage boxes. They weren’t on the PA though

14 minutes ago, TBoy said:

I'm thinking the reason why JR only now has one train is so it is safer, as the ride only goes for around 30 seconds. If it had 2 trains they might collide with each other so it is less of a risk now. Not sure about the long dispatch times but when I was at Sea World in early-August there was only one train.

but that’s, um, not how rides work? they can’t collide with eachother if there’s enough blocks to have 2 trains on track.