Dreamworld Flyer

TBoy

At least This shows that just because they do one thing, it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s going to be the final product.   

35 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

Surely dreamworld managers are not running the place based on parkz

Running the place on it? No.  but It’s not impossible to think someone from management would read Parkz.   

Edited by REGIE

38 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

Surely dreamworld managers are not running the place based on parkz

In a perfect world, what do enthusiasts want? Because fans can't have it both ways - folks want the parks to be transparent and more receptive to feedback (and even engage with enthusiasts 😱) but also think it's ridiculous when they leverage insights from the folks that know their assets the best.

To be frank, if analysts, investors and even the boards themselves use Parkz for insights and insider knowledge, there'd be something wrong culturally if the middle managers were too short-sighted to do the same.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

I've worked on events that have had wraps designed/printed and delivered in under 24hrs 

it seems like you’ve worked within every industry in a lot of different department that always somehow relate to a very specific topic.

anyways, in all honestly guests don’t care about a sticker or a wrap, it won’t make them not want to return when they know somethings coming. A sticker with a barcode across a couple of the walls is fine, they still could do more but for what it is it’s fine. Guests will definitely care when 2/5 coasters are open in a park with a bunch of other rides closed, then a blank wall. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

for reference this is at Disneyland right now

But in the same article:  this is also at Disneyland

Splash Mountain Transforms into Tiana's Foods

This was one day after the ride was closed, and there are a number of areas yet to be addressed. it shows that even the most magical place on earth doesn't do things in a day, so a day of a blank wall is a work in progress, and something to overlook. It's what they finish with that's important. 

As the saying goes, never show a fool an incomplete job. The stickers that have appeared this morning smack of a 'completed' job and i'm now underwhelmed.

50 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

But in the same article:  this is also at Disneyland

Splash Mountain Transforms into Tiana's Foods

This was one day after the ride was closed, and there are a number of areas yet to be addressed. it shows that even the most magical place on earth doesn't do things in a day, so a day of a blank wall is a work in progress, and something to overlook. It's what they finish with that's important. 

Wow! And this is what happens when you slowly water down the clout imagineering has in the parks, you end up with 'GC Style' in Disney parks 😛

• Love it! 1

22 minutes ago, rappa said:

Wow! And this is what happens when you slowly water down the clout imagineering has in the parks, you end up with 'GC Style' in Disney parks 😛

You're not wrong there. Disney Corporate resents Imagineering. They're constantly making moves to limit their control over the parks because excellence is expensive. They'd prefer an okay product with amazing profits than vice versa. 

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

a day of a blank wall is a work in progress, and something to overlook

But the soon to be infamous “DW black wall” has been more than a day… 

Being the very first thing people see as soon as they pay their hundreds of dollars, step through the entry gates and enter a famous Gold Coast theme park… boom, plain black wall with stickers… 

It’s just not good enough, and should not be overlooked.

Stab in the dark… 1 day for a graphic designer, 1-3 days for printing, 1 day for installation, $5k printing & installation and your job’s done. A decent attempt at welcoming guests and photo opp for guests whilst building excitement for an upcoming attraction.

The wall didn’t just appear out of nowhere overnight, they knew it was coming, someone would’ve taken the time to measure the area, order the timber, construct it… DW had plenty of opportunity to plan and properly present their entrance.

Maybe Disneyland have done similar fencing jobs, but I can guarantee it wouldn’t be like that in their main entrance and the first thing people see as they enter.

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/06/2023 at 7:10 PM, Michelangelo said:

Can I vote we correctly spell “flyer” in the title of this thread?

#grammarpolice

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Also can we get the topic name changed to “Flyer” rather than flier. 

At this point this is probably just being ignored because it's annoying folk so much. 

9 hours ago, joz said:

I mean I guess I understand the rage, but also the rage does seem a little bit overblown to me.

Also 'lol' to the idea that the reason it's fine is because the 'real' first impression of the park is the digital experience.

Perfectly put - I understand it, but it's definitely overblown.

Also - the digital experience isn't your first impression of the park, but that globe has been around for about a heartbeat of Dreamworld's lifetime. It is not the 'must have photo' for families - this is:

Dreamworld for young children - our Australian family review! | Let's go  MumLet's go MumDreamworld Theme Park from Brisbane - Gray LineFamily Fun at Dreamworld – Mummy To Twins Plus OneCheap Dreamworld Tickets - Brisbane Kids

Families lining up to enter the park first thing in the morning line the kids up for a shot under the globe at the entrance. It's as quintessential as the sea world entrance and why we celebrated when sea world removed all that shitty photographer crap from the front entrance

Sea World Gold coast | nepaliaustralian

The Globe in the fountain is certainly a photo opportunity, but it feels born out of the influencer era - it is something devoid of life - it's framed to exclude other people from the shot so the 'grammers can get their perfect jump selfie.

But it just makes it look like the park is dead.

Buy Dreamworld Entry Ticket, Gold Coast Online - Klook AustraliaDreamworld 1 Day Pass - Gold Coast Theme Park PassesBuy Dreamworld Entry Ticket, Gold Coast Online - Klook Australia

Screw the globe. I'll take my group photo on the front entrance steps every time.

• Like 3

In regards to the wall, I think it’s great the park has actually gone to the effort of constructing something while the works happen, rather than just putting up the standard construction fencing we’ve been seeing for many many years. I’ve always wanted our parks to follow in Disney and Universals footsteps when it came to construction site walls, so well done to the park for actually investing in this.

It would be great to see the parks do this more often where viable. For example, I could give DW a pass for the Dreamland works because it’s a phased process and the walls are being moved around every few weeks/months depending on the attraction. But the fact they’ve gone to the effort of designing and putting up a wrap advertising whats to come is great to see. While at MW with the construction of Wizard of Oz, they should be constructing a wall at the start of the site and promoting the precinct because that wall will be there for a couple of years (from when it first went up).

And while the stickers at DW do seem a last minute addition, I do think a more prominent wrap/signage advertising the attraction or creating a photo opportunity would’ve been a much better option to see

They got you on the pr payroll or what mate

Also there is a difference between a first impression and a first photo and it has nothing to do with that universal rip off globe

When you enter the park and see inside for the first time thats a first impression

24 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

When you enter the park and see inside for the first time thats a first impression

Jesus christ. They're literally doing all this construction to improve the first impression. Fuck - California Adventure had blank walls lining Sunshine Plaza for months while they redid the park. 

Sure, let's work on first impressions but when you're working literally inside the entrance gate, there isn't a whole lot you can do to pretend like there isn't a construction site. 

...because this is so much better, right??

Sky Voyager | Family Attraction · Flat Ride at Dreamworld | Parkz - Theme  Parks

29 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Jesus christ. They're literally doing all this construction to improve the first impression. Fuck - California Adventure had blank walls lining Sunshine Plaza for months while they redid the park. 

Sure, let's work on first impressions but when you're working literally inside the entrance gate, there isn't a whole lot you can do to pretend like there isn't a construction site. 

...because this is so much better, right??

Sky Voyager | Family Attraction · Flat Ride at Dreamworld | Parkz - Theme  Parks

If you look closely there's a nice wrap that tells you what's going on.

33 minutes ago, Slick said:

If you look closely there's a nice wrap that tells you what's going on.

That was pre-covid. Everything is a QR code now.

On 06/06/2023 at 9:17 AM, Michelangelo said:

IMG_0256.jpeg

Also in case you missed it...

On 06/06/2023 at 9:54 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

this smacks of "oh fuck, they're right. get something up there"

I'd rather they'd waited a week to have full height corflute artwork run off (see Dreamland construction hoarding for ideas) than to have overnighted this cheap shit.

Actually - i'd rather plain black walls than this shit.

20 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

You have got to be kidding me!

How can anyone running the joint at DW be ok with this??

Its a requirement for the site to be clearly labeled as a construction site and for builders signage to be put up. Even Steel Tipain i had signage from Mack rides and the builders. 

QBCC requires the principal contractor to exhibit signage at a construction site, however it is required to list both the builder's name and their QBCC licence number. Most 'mandatory' signs usually contain other details like the contact information for the site manager, etc.

There is no law that requires a billboard advertising the contractor. This is just a banner, and is not a legislative requirement.

• Like 1

• Gazza changed the title to Dreamworld Flyer