Sea World lighthouse - Star Flyer replacement

Jamberoo Fan

'Rescue Point Lighthouse' Demolition & "Star Flyer" Addition  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Sea World's planned demolition of 'Rescue Point Lighthouse'?

• Great and replace it with a "Star Flyer"!
    • Great but replace it with something different than a "Star Flyer".
    • Sad but I prefer a "Star Flyer" in 'Rescue Point Lighthouse''s place.
    • Terrible - Keep it! It's irreplaceable!
  2. 2. How do you feel about Sea World's planned "Star Flyer" and where should it be located in Sea World?

• Great - 'Rescue Point Lighthouse' site
    • Great - 'Viking's Revenge Flume Ride' site
    • Great - Other site in Sea World
    • Terrible - 'Rescue Point Lighthouse' site
    • Terrible - 'Viking's Revenge Flume Ride' site
    • Terrible - Other site in Sea World
  3. 3. Is all this a good move to improve Sea World's future?

• Yes - The park is now back how it was in it's prime!
    • Yes - It's a good start but just not quite there yet.
    • Yes - It's a good start but a long way to go.
    • No - A "Star Flyer" is not a ride suited for Sea World.
    • No - The negative effects of demolishing 'Rescue Point Lighthouse' on Sea World outweigh any positive effects of anything else Sea World does in the future.
    • No - What were they thinking?

On 10/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, pushbutton said:

Anyone who gets a portable fairground spin 'n' spew confused with an immersive flight simulator in an extensively rebuilt building obviously has very little appreciation for what theme parks are all about!

I'm not just saying they're not enthusiasts, but they don't even have a low level of interest in enjoying a visit to a theme park.

There's just no contest! It's like Dreamworld opening a ghost train from the EKKA and trying to pass it off as similar to the Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster when it reopens.

I'm sure the general public has high interests in enjoying theme park visits.

Your ghost train example isn't exactly the same situation. Scooby-Doo is a very well known intellectual property. The general public would notice the difference. SkyFlyer & SkyVoyager are two very unknown intellectual properties hence why the general public could get easily confused particularly since they are very similar products. The problem is the brand names. Imagine a conversation between 2 members of the general public:

Person 2: So how was your summer? I went to the Gold Coast with the family.

Person 1: Me too! You visited the theme parks?

Person 2: Yeah. Went to all of them, as you do. Did you ride SkyVoyager? That is such a cool ride.

Person 1: Oh, yeah. Great views. You can see so much and your legs are dangling. First thing I rode when I was up there. It was just great seeing such a view of the Gold Coast at the start.

Person 2: Yeah, I agree. I had to hold on tightly though when I rode it. You know, I was nervous. So how did you find Sea World? Not as many rides as when I visited there in the 90's though.

Person 1: Yeah. It was alright though. The animal exhibits are still great.

Person 2: Of course except the polar bear was asleep when I visited though. So how did you find the other theme parks?

Person 1: Oh, they were awesome. I rode that new rollercoaster at MW. It is so tall. Oh and that heatwave? Thank god for Wet 'n' Wild. I didn't visit Dreamworld though.

Person 1 clearly mistook SkyVoyager for SkyFlyer.

I didn't mind SW getting a travelling version of a StarFlyer but after the revealing of the name SkyFlyer, it just sounds too much like VRTP are now taking ideas completely off Dreamworld and not just ideas for ride names but ideas for rides & their theming altogether.

• Like 1

Star flyer is a typical off the shelf name for this ride type. Plus most carnival rides like this are called star flyer or sky flyer. With that being said there is a 4th unit star flyer which was recently purchased and shipped from the UK to Australia. This one also matches the height of Sea Worlds.

BD6B5347-6526-4253-8466-CE42E0DBADDF.thumb.jpeg.477f5927376aa200162abba9a6e8dc7a.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Asked Bikash today why they opted for a travelling/temporary version vs a permanent installation, and his response (paraphrasing) was that if it is received well it may lead to a permanent version “bigger than anything you’ve seen before” 

If that's the case, better get riding People!

Because if bringing in a carnival ride is one way to test out the audience reaction, then why aren’t all the parks doing it? Sorry that doesn’t fly. The parks spend a lot of money into researching their target markets and what would fit said markets, they aren’t going to hire a carnival ride to “test the market”, it’s purely a stop gap measure because they know the park is fucked. 

It’s disappointing really that it has come to this.  

• Like 5

Yet to see anyone have any issues when serving me, but I don’t work for maccas so am not on the coalface. In saying that Maccas is renowned for their systems and getting things right from efficiency standpoints, so I have no doubt they would have had significant testing before a large scale rollout 

On 25/10/2018 at 12:00 AM, Jamberoo Fan said:

As far as I am aware, Sea World's plans have not yet been approved by a private certifier but according to Gold Coast City Council they are "in progress" of being assessed by the private certifier.

The wording has been changed to "completed", which I assume means it got approved.

4 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

Looks almost ready to go, wonder if the will do anything with the (presumably) unlicensed Looney Tunes print on the ops booth.

I can only recall see'ing nick or sea themed items in sea world, it would make me think VRTP placed a ride in the wrong park and should be put in MW's kid zone if they didn't (though considering the height restriction 120cm it wouldn't really go there either), like how surfrider would of suited sea world better than WnW, though personally I'd never wanna see such a thing in MW.

4 hours ago, themagician said:

Wow... I really hope they do something about those colours and wrapping on the booth and ride. Because it’s shit and shouldn’t be in the park

I would really hope so as well, at least make it sea themed considering its surrounded by creatures of the deep or maybe colour it like the light house it just replaced.

They just need to do something to it to fit in its area. If they want to be a leading aquarium theme park, they can’t have temporary attractions that don’t fit the theme at all. If it was at MW, it would be passable (but considering the standard that park is at now, they shouldn’t be having temporary attractions). The colours of the tower itself is fine, but they just got to fix the rest up, otherwise a bad decision made.

And to add to the list of bad decisions SW are making, they’ve now added these on the island in the lake:

D74B1AE2-47FB-456D-83B6-1DB01E9AD775.thumb.jpeg.d8c351aca373064d03cd1c144a6d6617.jpeg

(Image commented on ParkChat)

Its a theme park, not a car sales yard. Why the hell would they want these there...

Edited by themagician