Superman queue possible storage box system

7 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:
22 hours ago, Gazza said:

have you ever read AS 3533.1.

Unfortunately organisations that provide these documents don't provide them for free, and the average joe who isn't building amusement devices isn't going to fork out $249 to satisfy curiosity. If anyone has a copy, (i'm assuming section 2.8 would be the relevant section here) feel free to post it.

It forms part of AS 3533.4.3 and is also referenced to as part of an amusement devices class requirements. 

7 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:
22 hours ago, franky said:

I seem to remember being able to put my own seatbelt on on DCR the first time I rode back in 2019ish, do I remember correctly or was I just one of those naughty passengers?

It was initially permitted, you're not mistaken. Either someone didn't read the manual correctly and it was pointed out later, or a later audit \ review identified it as an issue and the procedure changed.

It was due to a safety bulletin issued by Mack in 2020 that resulted in the change of the harness inspection wording in their SOP's. Firm push/pull inspection of the lap-bar/restraint without the insertion of the seat belt to occur first to insure the cylinder test is successful. Followed by the insertion of the seat belt and final inspection to ensure the seat belt is fasten and pulled tight. Exactly what is outlined in the excerpt above from Bluefire, however this is not original copy. In addition to the SOP change, as part of the safety bulletin park engineering were required to conduct additional immediate inspections of the cylinders due to a risk of failing solenoids.  

MW operations choose to insert the seat belt themselves to ensure the lap-bar/restraint without the seat belt occurs correctly. It would be rather counter productive to inspect all restraints, ask guests to then insert their own seat belt and conduct another full train inspection for the seat belts.  

In the same year (2020), Mack introduced the option of the RFID operator scanner as an additional measure to ensure that an individual inspection of each restraint is registered. DW adopted this solution on ST. 

It was never stated however it is believed that a near miss incident occurred overseas that prompted the safety bulletin. 

Came straight here to post this and got beaten to the punch!

(Link for if you're feeling lazy).

May be an image of text that says "SEMBENE QUEUING ENHANCEMENTS TFORM MRT metropolisrapidtransit"

🎢 Superman Escape to receive a refurbishment of the queuing area and the removal of the lockers system!

So, my question is, how is this going to work?

Will be interesting to see how they’ll deal with this whilst needing to keep separate load/unload stations, & not changing any of the ride experience. I feel like the most obvious solution is/was the aforementioned double-sided locker/storage bay either right before boarding or on the station platform, but either of those solutions have their own problems when not changing anything about the way the ride loads & unloads, as well as needing pretty significant queue route/building changes that only seemed within the realm of possibility if done alongside an eventual significant ride overhaul. Whatever it is, I hope that it’s not a short-term, BandAid solution to tide it over ‘til that time (hopefully) arrives, or they decide that it’s not worth doing.

Edited by Tricoart

2 hours ago, wikiverse said:

The lockers might end up staying and just be paid lockers for general use.

It does specifically say ‘removal of the lockers system’ in the announcement post, and they have those paid lockers near GL that serve that purpose anyway. They may need that space for whatever solution they plan for Superman, too.

22 hours ago, wikiverse said:

If the seat belt is fastened and the strap tightened, it interferes with the push/pull procedure, where the 'pull' is just testing the tension of the seat belt, not the primary restraint.  If there is a hydraulic/ratchet restraint failure in such a scenario it wouldn't be detected, and the seat belt would be the only restraint with no redundancy.

There are always two hydraulic cylinders or ratchets, so one failed cylinder doesn't mean that the seatbelt is the only restraint, but yes, still impossible to detect with the belt tightened. 

Another interesting fact here is that DC Rivals is setup such that only one cylinder is locked in the station, and the cylinder that gets locked alternates between each dispatch, this way they both get checked every two cycles. When the train actually goes to dispatch, the other cylinder gets locked.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, themagician said:

Great to hear this change is finally happening. If they’re removing the lockers, I wonder if they’ll add this area back into the queue zones and create a single rider line. Every since it opened, the ride ops have had to yell into the queue for any single riders and this would speed up that process.

If that’s the case where do you put the single rider line

Doesnt look like anything’s changed in that queue shot you’d think they would clear more room in the standby line to put in a single rider line?

16 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Doesnt look like anything’s changed in that queue shot you’d think they would clear more room in the standby line to put in a single rider line?

Tbf, that image is a preliminary image of the queue in its current, and unchanged, state. They haven’t started any work yet (apparently they don’t even have a solid plan so far, but that part is solely hearsay), so the extent of the work to be done is as of yet unknown.

Edited by Tricoart

On 04/05/2024 at 10:45 AM, mba2012 said:

There are always two hydraulic cylinders or ratchets, so one failed cylinder doesn't mean that the seatbelt is the only restraint, but yes, still impossible to detect with the belt tightened. 

But we come back to the issue already mentioned  

On 03/05/2024 at 8:23 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I think, if I remember correctly, we learned something about this when Buzzsaw had to be retrofitted to be compliant after a risk was found with the buzz restraints. Essentially part of the restraint failed, and there was lots of talk about 'safety layers'.

Something about needing a redundant restraint locking device that did not rely on the same equipment - ie - you can't use a secondary hydraulic cylinder as a backup to your primary hydraulic cylinder, as there is a risk, however minimal, that if one fails, they both do.

The easiest solution to this problem was a seatbelt.

So if they had a hydraulic lock, and a ratcheting one, the ratcheting lock would be the redundant backup system to the hydraulic, but if you have two ratchets, or two hydraulic cylinders, they can't be their own backups, and a seatbelt is the easiest post-manufacture solution.

On 04/05/2024 at 1:45 PM, Baconjack said:

I've no idea if they would, but honestly it would be fairly easy to run a SRL down the old locker area, and merge it with the fast track line right before the stairs. 

On 04/05/2024 at 11:39 PM, rappa said:

I was today years old when I learned the Superman shop is no longer a thing. 

The only thing worse than a park that forces you through a giftshop at the exit, is forcing you through an empty giftshop.

Perhaps with the removal of the locker system and people being able to carry phones \ wallets through, they might be planning on reopening the merch store now that it is more likely to convert into sales?

What changes do you think we might see to the queue ? Could enhancing mean making it look completely different ? I have always felt it doesn't look that much like a subway station. It would be cool if they added some arches like what's on Gotham city escape.

0D8E0041-3552-4C25-A3A3-EC4FFA5493F9.jpeg

4A25CE67-F2D1-4A55-BDCF-7D767FE1E2CF.jpeg

8 minutes ago, themagician said:

Theming enhancements would be awesome, but I think the term ‘enhancements’ is overselling what they’re doing. I believe they are introducing a loose article storage system at the station and then removing the lockers to create additional queue space, with there potentially being a single ride queue.

I agree that's what they will do, but even just subway tile on the wall. or even the cheap method and paint on the subway tile.

So, if I've interpreted the images correctly, the ride photos are being moved to the opposite wall near the external door, the storage will be where the ride photos are currently, and they're knocking out an opening between the end of the queue and the exit room (where fast trackers enter at the moment).

Where the storage is going to be seems a little awkward. My thinking is you'd be expected to go drop your stuff before you line up at the door.

The existing locker area looks elevated. Part of a new extended queue?

14 minutes ago, franky said:

So, if I've interpreted the images correctly, the ride photos are being moved to the opposite wall near the external door, the storage will be where the ride photos are currently, and they're knocking out an opening between the end of the queue and the exit room (where fast trackers enter at the moment).

Where the storage is going to be seems a little awkward. My thinking is you'd be expected to go drop your stuff before you line up at the door.

The existing locker area looks elevated. Part of a new extended queue?

I'm assuming we're seeing both standby & fastback queues in this, hence two ramps. Sorted at the top of the ramps, place items in lockers then grouped at a door? Maybe I'm misinterpreting it?