Jump to content

Doomsday Destroyer - 2016 Movie World construction


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Latest piccies...  Annnd a video  

my spelling played up i mean latest more to come!

I don't understand why people are complaining about content. We've never had such comprehensive coverage of a new attraction before. Every member's contribution has been fantastic and is very much app

Posted Images

OK now that I know what's actually going in there, @jozis right with the "eh" reaction, however assuming it will be used as a filler attraction, it does make sense. No point wasting all the space like they have been. DC is a brand that will last a while. I just hope they theme it well. 

@AlexB even if they lost the license, it wouldn't take much to change to a generic theme. Just remove the characters themselves and make it a space themed area. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Warner Bros. Movie World General Manager, Greg Yong said this is an exciting announcement for the park with DC Comics Super-Villains Unleashed and the Doomsday Destroyer sure to offer guests a range of unique experiences.

“There has always been a focus on DC Comics Super Heroes at Warner Bros. Movie World but these new attractions will showcase the Super-Villains from the DC Universe,” he said.

you don't say? DC Movie world!

Edited by bladex
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

OK now that I know what's actually going in there, @jozis right with the "eh" reaction, however assuming it will be used as a filler attraction, it does make sense. No point wasting all the space like they have been. DC is a brand that will last a while. I just hope they theme it well. 

@AlexB even if they lost the license, it wouldn't take much to change to a generic theme. Just remove the characters themselves and make it a space themed area. 

The DC Movies coming over the next 5 years are plentiful. VRTP certainly have this in mind:

2016:

  • Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
  • Suicide Squad

2017:

  • Wonder Woman
  • Justice League, Part 1

2018:

  • The Flash (Unrelated to the TV show).
  • Aquaman
  • Batman (Affleck)

2019:

  • Shazam
  • Justice League, Part 2

2020:

  • Cyborg
  • Green Lantern Corps

Others are rumoured, such as Legion of Super-Heroes and another Superman movie.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, not forgetting, that Suicide Squad is released in August, which for the uninitiated, is basically the collaboration of many of the DC villains, and carries the tag line "it's good to be bad". It's a great tie in, potentially an awesome maze tie in for fright nights as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The biggest problem with MW is village don’t make movies.  Back in the Warner Bros days, MW had a massive selection of Movies that they could select from.  If MW continued the same way Warner Bros did by theming every attraction differently than MW would have a huge bill each year to pay the owners of the movies.

The MW we once knew we will never know again.  Its makes more sense for MV to pay 1 fee to DC comics then pay 15 different companies.

Edited by skeetafly
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, 99.9% of the new rides at MW are DC, but DC sells.

Frankly, I don't really care what the new attractions will be themed to, but more the quality of the theming and the rides.

I'd be happy with a Hello Kitty expansion if it was full of world class attractions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Village Roadshow to open “one of the world’s best” theme park attractions on the Coast

 

so based on the picture provided assuming it's something like that, makes me feel like they fell short on funding and ended up with this ride. Don't think it will be worlds best. 

(I'm viewing this on my phone so if I have missed some information let me know and will check later :D )

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like another ride for the thrill seekers and nothing for the families.  Don't get me wrong, I am excited for a new ride regardless of its theming.  However, it seems the families are forgotten again.  With Doomsday and then the Rollercoaster it really looks like nothing is happening for the juniors.  Movie DC World are changing their market demographic, which the competition down the road will start cashing in on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice writing and a good summary of today's events in the articles, Slick and Richard.

Not really excited about more DC themed rides or movies. 

Good point, Troy.  The families and those people who prefer less extreme rides do seem to have been left out of the equation - hopefully a new show could fix that. Whilst I'm looking forward to a new roller coaster, extreme or otherwise, I know many in my travelling party who will be avoiding it.

Edited by iwerks
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skeetafly said:

 

The biggest problem with MW is village don’t make movies.  Back in the Warner Bros days, MW had a massive selection of Movies that they could select from.  If MW continued the same way Warner Bros did by theming every attraction differently than MW would have a huge bill each year to pay the owners of the movies.

The MW we once knew we will never know again.  Its makes more sense for MV to pay 1 fee to DC comics then pay 15 different companies.

This doesn't make sense.

Movie World is still "Warner Bros. Movie World" and the studios next door have been "Village Roadshow studios" since a late 1980's before the theme-park was built.

The fact that the films are made in the studios next door doesn't give Movie World automatic rights to build theme park attractions. The studios also do make a lot of film and TV series, many of them major movies i.e Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Thor 3 (filming there this year), San Andreas, Narnia 3 etc.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rac2703 said:

This doesn't make sense.

Movie World is still "Warner Bros. Movie World" and the studios next door have been "Village Roadshow studios" since a late 1980's before the theme-park was built.

The fact that the films are made in the studios next door doesn't give Movie World automatic rights to build theme park attractions. The studios also do make a lot of film and TV series, many of them major movies i.e Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Thor 3 (filming there this year), San Andreas, Narnia 3 etc.  

 

You've completed missed the point or misunderstood what skeet was saying. 

 

1 minute ago, pushbutton said:

Do we actually know it's a Superloop?

No, do you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iwerks said:

Good point, Troy.  The families and those people who prefer less extreme rides do seem to have been left out of the equation - hopefully a new show could fix that. Whilst I'm looking forward to a new roller coaster, extreme or otherwise, I know many in my travelling party who will be avoiding it.

they'll have to go to DW and hang out in tiger cubs kindy than :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

You've completed missed the point or misunderstood what skeet was saying. 

I understand what he is saying in terms of only using one "theme" to save on licensing, but even back in the day when the park was owned and operated by Warner Bros. they still would have had to pay licensing fees for the use of characters, logos etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rac2703 said:

I understand what he is saying in terms of only using one "theme" to save on licensing, but even back in the day when the park was owned and operated by Warner Bros. they still would have had to pay licensing fees for the use of characters, logos etc.

I'm not going to say I know a lot about the ownership, but my understanding was Warner Bros actually had a financial interest in the park initially, so it's likely WB licences were freely used, the park now licences the WB name but there is no longer any ownership attributed to WB, so those properties would now require licensing to be used. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.3c10c0e5306d3a39d10e5fc3

Just saw that the Suspened Twin Hammer has three styles like Pandamonuim, the first style rocks up and down, the second style goes 150 degrees, the third style goes fully upside down. If MW gets this ride, do you think this feature will get carried over to Doomsday Destoryer? 

pretty excited for this, I don't care about the DC theming TBH, just glad that this area of the park is finally getting utilised :) 

Edited by The_Ninja_59
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

With WWF having an extended down time this winter and a repaint of the mountain.

Wonder if they retheme this whole ride...

 

Maybe Mr Freeze mountain?  Close to the new villain area

after all  MW could do with more DC ride :/

Not sure if that was meant to be serious or not, but you have made me wonder if that is exactly what is going to happen!

Provided the effects and "storytelling" remained as good as they are now, and preferably better, and as long as it was still a theme that was enduring and accessible to most guests (including me obviously lol) I'd be in favour of that.

 

Edited by pushbutton
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of Meh about the flat, I heard Intamin and thought it may be a resurrection of the doomsday tower, but wost likely it will be glorified pirate ships. At least there'll be some life in that area.

Hopefully Intamin will be involved with the coaster as well.

I like how they say the annual passes are almost sold out, yeah right, or maybe they are changing their model on APs - a zillion twelvsies with no in-park spend will do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

With WWF having an extended down time this winter and a repaint of the mountain.

Wonder if they retheme this whole ride...

 

Maybe Mr Freeze mountain?  Close to the new villain area

after all  MW could do with more DC ride :/

So... Half of MW SuperHeroes, the other half SuperVillains? 

SV vs SH & SD.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Richard featured and unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Trending Topics

  • Similar Content

    • By Smol bean
      Movie world has posted some of their Maintenance for the 2022 season

    • By Im Hungry
      I understand that this has been added to their website around the last week or two but just thought I'd leave them here.
      Movie World has added planned maintenance periods for the following rides in 2022:

    • By Cooper Liston
      Hey everyone,
      As it is looking very likely that the Arkham asylum at movieworld will be replaced what does everyone reckon the theming for the replacement attraction will be
      My guess is that they will still stick with the Batman sorta theming but im not quite sure what yet
    • By Brad2912
      There will be no theme park that will be able to compete with us’: Movie World plans for a hotel
       
      Village Roadshow has reignited its plans for a hotel at Movie World, lodging a trademark application that reveals its likely branding for the nine-storey, 398-room landmark.
       
      VILLAGE Roadshow has reignited its plans for a hotel at Movie World, lodging a trademark application that reveals its likely branding for the nine-storey, 398-room landmark.
       
      IP Australia records show Village Roadshow applied for a trademark for “Hotel V” at the end of March. It is pending registration.
      Village Roadshow, which was delisted from the ASX last year after a takeover by private equity firm BGH, gained development approval for a hotel in 2017 for its 14ha site at Oxenford.
       
      Planning documents reveal the development will include 32m high, nine-floor “theme park hotel” with 398 suites which is earmarked for land currently occupied by its northernmost carpark fronting Entertainment Drive.
       
      The ground floor will house reception, a lobby, administration office, business centre, bar, function centre, cafe, kitchen, kids club, amenities, gym and hotel back-of-house facilities.
       
      Ramp access and an elevated walkway on level one is planned to provide guests connection to the adjoining restaurant and dining precinct building plus theme park entry.
       
      The project is also set to incorporate “extensive outdoor swimming facilities, outdoor guest recreation areas and feature landscaping plantings”.
      A three-storey restaurant and dining precinct building, including a ground-level cafe and upper-level restaurant is also a feature of the plan.
      “Guest access to the restaurant and dining precinct is provided via an elevated walkway above the proposed porte-cochere, which will provide a prominent architectural feature” planning documents lodged by Urbis said.
       
      Village Roadshow declined to comment on hotel progress, but chief operating officer Bikash Randhawa has been active on social media, hyping big upcoming reveals for the company: “I don’t do this often, but get ready for some HUGE announcements from us. There will be no theme park on the GC or in Australia that will be able to compete with us.”
      When someone posted a photo of a Harry Potter studio, Mr Randhawa replied: “That’s small with what will happen over time.”
      When another person suggested another theme park was coming to the Gold Coast, he said “over the next few announcements, better than that”.
      Mr Randhawa said “no way” when someone suggested a casino could be built at Movie World.
      The hotel will be Village Roadshow’s latest in a hefty pipeline of investments on the Gold Coast, which in recent years, have included the $35 million DC Rivals Hypercoaster, Top Golf and its $50 million Atlantis precinct at SeaWorld, which is expected to be completed in mid-late 2021.
      The news follows revelations last week that Dreamworld’s owner Ardent Leisure was also shopping for major new attractions as work continued on its $32 million flagship ride, the Steel Taipan.
       
      https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/business/gold-coast-business/there-will-be-no-theme-park-that-will-be-able-to-compete-with-us-movie-world-plans-for-a-hotel/news-story/e5e43e739e312105dd3e706f1fb8dfd0?fbclid=IwAR0M4MNR8C_L9V9cgSGI-xRjfcxlmRrGkbn-b1LwP_rUe5cSGHbUkMxRSXY
    • By Gazza
      *trim brake, not block zone on this model.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.