The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

Yeah look - it's not like passholders are paying a premium - they get bargain basement prices.

If they're going to do a general soft-open for any guests on the day, and choose to market this to passholders as a preview (but still allow any guests on the day to enter) then i'm all for it, as long as the usual technical rehearsal signage \ expectations are posted for all to understand (though the concept of a single rider queue seems foreign to some so not sure if that'd make any difference....)

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

I get it in parks with huge attendance/pass holder numbers, but in Australia it's kind of pointless. I get the point of limiting demand as supply because supply is limited but it's just not that big an issue in Australia. The queue will limit demand if it gets too long. Just soft open it without telling anyone. Once it's running reliably and kinks in ops are sussed, declare it open and change the ads from 'coming soon' to 'now open'.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gazza said:

I get the impression that they will probably open that at the same time and just be done with the area.

Agreed, I reckon they will open them together.

47 minutes ago, joz said:

Passholder previews can honestly suck a fat one.

Hahahahaha, sorry, but I just had let you know that I found that hilarious.

• Like 1

Have been staying at the resort the past 2 nights for my sons birthday.

Leviathan is looking great, plenty of work going on, the carousel is been repainted on the inside. 

Jet rescue was amazing as always, storm coaster 15 min wait, some lady fainted in the que and 6 first aid responders were on the scene quick smart.

Resort is ok, needs an overhaul, food is half decent. But all in all the kids had a great time and the weather held off.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ogre said:

So does Levy take the prize for the best ride entrance in Australia?

I'd rather not comment until it is finished but scooby is still number 1 for me. Scooby-Doo_Spooky_Coaster_facade.thumb.jpg.4886a3c2600eb00ee4b886d1e1759352.jpg

Just now, TomiJ said:

I'd rather not comment until it is finished but scooby is still number 1 for me. Scooby-Doo_Spooky_Coaster_facade.thumb.jpg.4886a3c2600eb00ee4b886d1e1759352.jpg

Image from Wikipedia 

4 hours ago, Slick said:

I reckon so. 

72516AB5-CADA-4B15-9256-6C30F1133614.png

But it has 100% less turbines?
In seriousness, once the concrete is painted and the area around those statues is finished, it should look great. I'd like them to install some established trees to help with shade, but that's a minor thing that many new ride precincts have a lack of.

Over the years since the announcement, there's been a general thread of pessimism that VRTP would shortchange the initial vision for the project. I think it's fair to say we're all glad to have been proven wrong. I'm not only stoked to see the final result very soon, but have high hopes for the Oz precinct and beyond.

• Like 2

Scooby's entrance is really good, but the reason I like it isn't becasuse its so good but because it's actually kind of small and crummy. Scooby is a decently big, quality ride, and you don't really get a sense of that from the front.

Anyone who knows me will tell you one of the things I'm really big on is surprise in how you use space, summed up by the expression, big show on a small stage. Best example of that in Australia for anyone old enough was the imax theatre at DW back in the day. Six story movie screen but the building it was in was 2 stories tall. That building was old world themed too so you're really not expecting a giant 6 story space.

Scooby is the same kind of thing, you really dont get much clue from the front how big the ride is. It must happen reasonably often for a new guest to go on Scooby having only seen the entrance. Even when you know what Scooby does, it's surprising first time you ride it. Riding it without knowing what it does must be amazing, and the understated entrance doesn't give it away.

That aside, I was going to make an argument against Lev having the best ride entrance/start to a queue in Australia, until I thought about it what the best would be. Justice League maybe? I dunno. It's not really something our parks have traditionally done, so yeah, best entrance to a ride in the country I reckon.

As I've said previously people who want to complain about it will still be able to, but really it seems pretty well done to me. It loses a couple of marks here and there for some minor things (my personal gripe is fake grass), but as a whole I think they've done decently good.

Edited by joz
  • Like 1

• Gazza locked this topic