Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Overhaul

Spotty

Looks like Scooby is about to get a massive overhaul. Glad to see the park investing so much money. New trains, new track sections, new control system and entrance. Magnetic braking added as well. Ride is closed until 2024 now.

https://themeparks.com.au/blog/whats-new-with-scooby-doo?fbclid=IwAR3Q_hQ0e3UK3I8KYrAaI2a9LCZbVln3QkZOSd--SZdo8b9F5awet3ravb8

99A14DF5-E5DB-43D9-B9FE-24275C86F502.jpeg

Edited by Spotty
Added more information
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 2

Glad this rumour was true, I think it's a very smart move from the park.

5 minutes ago, franky said:

Also: Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Next Generation 2.0?

The park knows Next Gen was a bust, note the social posts and blog post do not refer to it as such. My understanding is it will be going back to closer to the original theming.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

My understanding is it will be going back to closer to the original theming.

Smart move. The execution of Next Gen detracted from the overall experience if it even worked. I'm glad they tried something new, but the original physical theming was far better.

• Like 1

Sad to see it go for so long! Queue times for the next couple of school holidays will take a big blow but tbh out of all the rides in the park, the next-gen up date is the most noticeable in lack of quality control.

I hope they don't mess with the wild mouse turns too much, how rough they are is my favourite aspect of the whole track. Those drops are horrendous though.

I do hope that the theming gets an overhaul, but I'm most excited about the changes to the ride itself. It definitely got rough and uncomfortable, particularly in those drops. Magnetic brakes would be a great addition as well, the final brakes after the drops were like a car crash.

Smoothing out the coaster again so that it's an enjoyable ride is the first priority, and anything they do to improve those awful new theming elements is an added bonus. Much-needed move from WBMW in my opinion, this was definitely the one ride that just wasn't up to scratch at the moment.

The amount of time it's closed for is a definite blow, but hopefully that means it will be quite extensive works that will deliver a much better finished product than the last time the ride underwent major works.

I'm just honestly impressed with ALL the parks lately spending so much money not just on new attractions but fixing up the place in general. Dreamworld has been making leaps and bounds over the last few years in this regard. Village has also been slowly going through all of their stuff and fixing it up (Road Runner, West, Justice League and now this). I really hope that after WOO is done that they shut down the kids area and do a full overhaul. I feel they could justify this as there will be more family attractions with Oz open.

It's really good to see though

• Love it! 1

This is certainly a well overdue upgrade. Next Generation was a poorer experience to the original ride, not fixing anything related to the coaster experience and instead a lacklustre effort at meeting fire safety requirements. Getting some of the theming fixed would be nice, especially at places like at the mirror scene or on the elevator. Retracking will make the ride more comfortable considering it runs in the dark and has so many pot holes.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 2

I mean, I'm not complaining at all. I won't be up on the GC for a while. But I have to wonder, WHY??? I definitely think SSDC need a substantial upgrade but they literally refurbished the ride a couple of years ago when they did Next Gen. Surely they would've known then that the ride needed some heavy maintenance then so why just not do it then? And it seems like they're doing even more retheming now. So why didn't they fix the problems then?

• Like 1

I‘m so happy they’re putting so much love into this ride and i wonder if the final drop will be replaced with anything (drop track????) most likely not but one can wish. 

It seems like they’re already started some work, the projections were off as well as the TV’s in the elevator being taken out (as of the Sunday just passed.) 2024 will be a huge year for our parks and i can’t wait to experience it