The Off Topic Topic

image.thumb.png.a2fdef255411690d24f1db4c88379d5e.png

Was looking on Tripadvisor out of curiosity and came across this Dreamworld review. This was three weeks ago. Does anyone recall such an incident? A little girl stuck on one of the tallest drop towers in the world would have made a great news story, so perhaps this person is exaggerating.

PS. I know exactly what staff member they are talking about. Won't name her but she is a friendly older lady who wears such horrible lipstick and is slightly strange in some ways. I remember once I said to her "I like the west side of the giant drop because of the view of all of the old rides" and she went silent and gave me an evil glare for about three seconds until I said "Like Blue Lagoon and Log Ride" and she was like "Oh yeah, haha".

2 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

image.thumb.png.a2fdef255411690d24f1db4c88379d5e.png

Was looking on Tripadvisor out of curiosity and came across this Dreamworld review. This was three weeks ago. Does anyone recall such an incident? A little girl stuck on one of the tallest drop towers in the world would have made a great news story, so perhaps this person is exaggerating.

PS. I know exactly what staff member they are talking about. Won't name her but she is a friendly older lady who wears such horrible lipstick and is slightly strange in some ways. I remember once I said to her "I like the west side of the giant drop because of the view of all of the old rides" and she went silent and gave me an evil glare for about three seconds until I said "Like Blue Lagoon and Log Ride" and she was like "Oh yeah, haha".

I find it hard to believe that during the school holidays, only one person was queuing for their main attraction. 

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

By herself may mean "without a friend or family member". 

^^^^

Probably this. While Giant Drop has substantially shorter lines than some other attractions, I doubt for one minute that one person would be sitting at the top of Giant Drop on their own, in a peak period.

Also, the lady attending the ride is right. Drop towers break down at the top all the time. While this report may seem silly when we look at it, if I was sitting at the top of GD for 25 minutes, on one of the tallest drop towers on earth, it would be very terrifying.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

^Operators don't usually have that ability (speaking generally). Usually it would require maintenance to come up and switch the ride to manual operation so that it could be lowered. Depends on how close maintenance were at the time, but a 'charlie' should take priority over any other maintenance issues. I think if it is true, 25 minutes is an exaggeration, but then it depends on what happened. If all the ride systems were functioning and it had just 'errored out' it should be a quick resolution - if it were something more involved - power tripped, winch failure etc, it might take a little longer to resolve.

I don't agree with the statement that 'giant drop' towers break down all the time. I have to say Wonderland's version - despite the issues with module 2, would go ages without any issue. In all the time I worked there I can only think of a handful of instances where it had to be lowered manually. I wouldn't suggest a GD attraction would be any worse off than any other Australian ride with the usual safety systems in place.

To add to that a few days ago at AW's Fright Nights. I was on the inferno when we were halfway through the ride cycle just finishing the second shot and we heard a bang. What happened was the rides breaks deployed to early so a sensor tripped and shut the ride down. So we had to wait for maintenance to come and re start the ride. Probs a max of 10 minutes. Nothing bad the ride re opened shortly after.

The discussion has specifically been about the Intamin Giant Drop version. It has nothing to do with the Inferno's ride model.

It would be like me saying 'I saw Tweety's cages stop halfway through the ride cycle....'

Completely irrelephant.

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

I was “stuck” on Giant Drop facing the ocean on 25/10/17. Was a little more than 10mins until we dropped (like normal) preceded by a speaker announcement that it was about to drop and to keep your head back.

Staff apologised for the inconvenience and gave out bottled water.

Bottled water kinda sucks as a 'Sorry'.

I get you weren't in any danger or overly inconvenienced but would be much cooler if they gave you a shirt or hat or something that you can keep, rather than drink and be done with. At least like a fast pass for another ride or something. (kinda useless at the moment though from what I hear about attendance).

The water is because the person was 'trapped' for longer than planned in an exposed position. It's not meant to be "sorry, here's a freebie".

It's pretty standard for a ride stoppage response to include bottled water so that people who have been exposed to sun\heat and rehydrate. It's a health and safety consideration. A t-shirt is not (although a fastpass couldn't hurt them as it really costs nothing)

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

It's pretty standard for a ride stoppage response to include bottled water so that people who have been exposed to sun\heat and rehydrate. It's a health and safety consideration.

Queensland Rail does something similar with bottled water when the train network goes down.

Edited by Theme Park

I don't agree with hearing "it happens all the time, it's normal". At the end of the day these rides are multi million dollar machines and shouldn't break down as often as they do. Yeh maybe once or twice a week where a sensor has become dirty or something but not frequently. I know most of the time it isn't a catastrophic failure but there's no excuse for an advanced machine to constantly stop working.

I've said this before, probably 1000 times. THEY DON'T BREAK DOWN they simply have a routine stop for safety purposes. The reason other advanced automated machines don't do this is they aren't for public person conveyance. As soon as you put people on something a whole additional set of ultra high level safety applies and it's just to feasible to have attractions that can avoid stopping. If they did they would cost an extra 100 million dollars to implement all that is required.

The closest thing to rides are probably elevators, and I don't know how much experience you have with high rises but they break down regularly enough, and they are doing a simple mundane relatively slow task.

• rappa locked this topic