Revised Dreamworld Map - no Rocky Hollow Log Ride

themagician

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That fencing surrounding the log ride is definitely concerning, and makes me really think that this is the end for this ride too. Considering there was the incident earlier in the year, and I imagine the ride has a similar technical system to the river rapids, so maybe DW are taking extra precaution and don't want to risk it.

On 12/9/2016 at 5:00 PM, themagician said:

is the log rides water system connected in any way to the one used for the river rapids?

hqdefault.jpg

Come on @themagician, you've been around long enough for that question to have been asked several times. I cannot believe you just asked that again - especially since you've seen the aerial imagery of the park that shows quite clearly that there could not be any linkage between the two bodies of water.

Aaaaaaaanyways...

7 hours ago, thunder001 said:

This area does not just include the two closed rides, but has been an area with a lot of closed or removed items in the park over the years.  The removal of the chair lift, the closure of the original water park section of Dreamworld, the death of the Eureka Mine ride, as well as the BB stage.  This takes up (as per google maps image) an area of almost half the size of the rest of the park.

You might as well include the Murrissippi and associated island and infrastructure in that plan too - and then you're pretty close to half the park.

Don't forget your circle includes the train sheds though - can't be doing away with them!

3 hours ago, themagician said:

That fencing surrounding the log ride is definitely concerning, and makes me really think that this is the end for this ride too.

Given it's the same fencing as around Thunder River Rapids, maybe (like others have suggested) DW just put it up to ensure no one gets confused between the 2 rides?

While reading a recent new article about Dreamworld I stumbled across the following picture of a ride height poster. It stated on the article no mention of the Thunder River Rapids Ride but it also has no mention what so ever of the Log Ride, it mentions all other rides accept those 2. River Rapids understandable but log ride. 

dreamworld_header.jpg

21 minutes ago, Ashley said:

While reading a recent new article about Dreamworld I stumbled across the following picture of a ride height poster. It stated on the article no mention of the Thunder River Rapids Ride but it also has no mention what so ever of the Log Ride, it mentions all other rides accept those 2. River Rapids understandable but log ride. 

dreamworld_header.jpg

Given in the days after the accident the media made a big point of mentioning that a two year old child can ride it, it would suggest that there isn't a height limit for them to put on the sign.

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

Come on @themagician, you've been around long enough for that question to have been asked several times. I cannot believe you just asked that again - especially since you've seen the aerial imagery of the park that shows quite clearly that there could not be any linkage between the two bodies of water

Yeah good point. It was just a quick thought and thought I'd asked the question, without giving it much consideration. 

Why are so many people seemingly holding on to the apparent delusion that the log ride will be reopening at some stage? With the TRRR accident and the resulting major safety audit, the removal of the log ride from park map and website, fencing, and now the confirmed permanent closure of Viking's Revenge, how could the ride be anything other than gone for good? I could be wrong, but all signs are seriously pointing in one direction only.

Edited by GoGoBoy

2 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

Why are so many people seemingly holding on to the apparent delusion that the log ride will be reopening at some stage? With the TRRR accident and the resulting major safety audit, the removal of the log ride from park map and website, fencing, and now the confirmed permanent closure of Viking's Revenge, how could the ride be anything other than gone for good? I could be wrong, but all signs are seriously pointing in one direction only.

Change is hard to accept for many people... 

I was holding out a slim amount of hope until I saw fencing.

On 09/12/2016 at 4:29 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

Regarding Rocky Hollow Log Ride, whilst it has disappeared from the park map, I wouldn't rule it out as been permanently closed yet. Unlike Viking's Revenge, Rocky Hollow Log Ride has no rides nearby making it difficult to replace.

This. I have good reason to believe that this ride's current closure has a lot to do with its location and proximity to TRR. Whilst I agree that yes, given the type of ride it is and it's age, it's future does look grim. But I wouldn't consider it a write off just yet. Big decisions are still to be made about this particular corner of the park. 

Also worth noting that the fencing being put up around it may also help to ease guest's minds. The RHLR is very similar to TRR in many ways, and seeing it (even whilst it's out of operation) may remind them of a certain situation that DW is trying to move on from. 

Out of sight, out of mind. 

Yes, knowing that the park has previously has sought the advice of psychologists and what not, I do believe these decisions are the follow-up of advice which is to assist in helping both the park and it's guests to recover and move forward. It all makes complete sense to me ?

Edited by Theme Park Girl

11 hours ago, AlexB said:

Given in the days after the accident the media made a big point of mentioning that a two year old child can ride it, it would suggest that there isn't a height limit for them to put on the sign.

Its hard to see as the image I posted isn't the clearest in the world, but in the 90cm section the Dreamworld Express Train made it to the list.

The train has no height restriction nor an age restriction and it still made it to the list but the log ride didn't even know that it has stricter safety restrictions then the train.

I see your point but I just thought that was quite strange that the Dreamworld Express qualified for the list but the log ride didn't.  

I think we are saying goodbye to RHLR, not because of the incident earlier, but because it's a built-in-house ride.

I'd say it would be the same story that pressured SW into making the decision to shut VR. Given the massive audits and everything, and since TRRR was built in-house as well, I imagine insurance costs skyrocketed and there would have been massive criticism and scrutiny over the safety of DW and SW's designs.

While it probably could have passed an audit like it did with the earlier incident, unfortunately public image would have been damaged, and DW are responsible for not only the operations of RHLR, but also the design. If there's a faulty part, they can't shift the blame to any manufacturers, like WBMW were fortunate enough to do with GL.

Massive insurance costs, really high scrutiny and probably poor public image. I think we're seeing the gruesome end of the in-house ride designers. The public just doesn't trust anyone except the certified experts anymore.

I agree that the reason it's closing is that it was an in house design

back in the early 70s/80s it was very expensive to import ride systems from America and Europe so a lot of early attractions were made cheaper in house on Australian soil  however today's safety standards demand that rides come from a industry aproved experienced ride manufacturer  

perhaps they will replace the log ride with a new log flume system seeing as it was one of the most popular family attractions in the park ? 

Edited by Themeparkfan

I would assume a new water attraction would be high on Dreamworld's list of next attractions, especially if the Log Ride is closing for good. My memories of hot Gold Coast summer's spent cooling down on the Log and Rapid Ride are undoubtedly shared by many considering how popular the rides are/were. It's just a matter of balancing when to announce a new water ride. Anything under 6 months would probably be seen as insensitive. 

to be honest I seriously doubt dreamworld will ever spend the money it would take to build a new flume or river rapids ride

and I'm sure they also would know it would be seen in bad taste to build a new river rapids ride sadly

this accident is more likely to lead to the big rollercoaster everyone has been wanting - asking them to build for years

witch is something the park does need even tho the gold coast already has to many rollercoasters

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

Its hard to see as the image I posted isn't the clearest in the world, but in the 90cm section the Dreamworld Express Train made it to the list.

The train has no height restriction nor an age restriction and it still made it to the list but the log ride didn't even know that it has stricter safety restrictions then the train.

I see your point but I just thought that was quite strange that the Dreamworld Express qualified for the list but the log ride didn'

In the 90cm section, it says:

No height restriction to ride ALL of the below rides

There is more text at the 80cm section but it is too small to read.

Given it is a rather 'permanent' sign, I now gather Rocky Hollow Log Ride is going to be closed for a lengthy period of time (at least until after the summer holidays) - but I'm still not going to rule it out as permanently closed just yet.