Sky Voyager Discussion

T-bone

1 hour ago, aaronm said:

Not really, just means the ride system is operational. Ride movement doesn't need to be 100% synced to film a commercial.

Yeah but when the person who went on sv describes the experience, I’d say it’s working. Also, in the tvc, I’m sure the angles will have the riders leaning as they fly over somewhere, so it does have to be synced.

2 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

I’ve spoke to the person who rode and it was defiently synced. I don’t know why anyone would question if it’s synced or not as Brogent finished up at Dreamworld a while ago.

Just because brogent finished up don’t mean that the video was synced cause dreamworld will change the video eventually and brogent won’t come out just to sync it. 

18 minutes ago, Rabbit2014 said:

Just because brogent finished up don’t mean that the video was synced cause dreamworld will change the video eventually and brogent won’t come out just to sync it. 

It’s brand new and just been installed. Brogent wouldn’t just set it up and leave it. Initially syncing it is a big part of testing sv that Brogent would conduct before ever leaving the ride in the hands of dreamworld. Also, the person who rode it mentioned going through some environment while swaying or getting sprayed with mist. It is synced.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Theme Park Enthusiast said:

@Gold Coast Amusement Force a river ride is not needed considering they have a wave pool already. Replace hot wheels side winder with a RMC 

What ????

WnWGC has both a lazy river and a wave pool and neither of them make each other redundant. Many other water parks around the world have both rides. And when the time comes for Hot Wheels to be ripped down, it is far more likely an extra slide tower would go in its place than a new coaster.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

I actually agree with the obvious troll on this one. A Lazy River isn't going to do anything to change the trajectory they're on. They need a new family ride and new thrills to replace the rides that are almost at end of life. They've now got their family ride, it might be late, over budget, ugly and hard to market, but all the same they have their family ride.

Now, they need a bold new thrill ride. Not another flat, a decent coaster. If you can get it to go upside down 6 times and take the Australian record for most inversions that'd probably be useful too, because you need an angle where you need to look straight down the camera and say 'It's more X than Rivals'. Something to take to market and something to balance the park when the old thrill rides start closing.

Oh and a new water slide for WWW. Doesn't matter what, literally anything will do. Dark Mammoth or Boomerango for my taste but it really doesn't matter.

Yeah I suppose we’ve got to accept that it is the family market they are targeting going forwards. That means that when these old rides are gone, they might just choose not to replace them. Also, they’ve got an indoor coaster coming but I’m sure that’s more of a family coaster.

31 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Yeah I suppose we’ve got to accept that it is the family market they are targeting going forwards. That means that when these old rides are gone, they might just choose not to replace them. Also, they’ve got an indoor coaster coming but I’m sure that’s more of a family coaster.

It's been said a million times before but as a theme park you can't just choose to focus on one part of the market because that's literally how theme parks die. Furthermore, focussing on families is a PR choice and nothing more - literally every major player knows that there's about to be a huge dip in the family market due to a generational gap, which is why there's so many new roller-coasters being built. Conditions are also ripe for big a new ride, not to mention overdue.

For Dreamworld to succeed, one needs to look beyond TRR and even look beyond Village and take a gander at what's happening globally, and what they're doing right now isn't it.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Theme Park Enthusiast said:

Sky Voyager was awesome, the internals was exactly what I thought. Themed as an airport. Runway stripped flooring, massive 747 passenger plane model on display. Awesome shop. Awesome film. Mist not yet working but the turning, spinning etc are great

So tell me / us... where is the 747 located and how big is massive?? Describe the run way stripped flooring?? Give us an idea of the first scene :D AND I assume there is a pre brief... what’s that consist of??? But wait, how did you experience all this??? 😊

1 hour ago, Theme Park Enthusiast said:

Sky Voyager was awesome, the internals was exactly what I thought. Themed as an airport. Runway stripped flooring, massive 747 passenger plane model on display. Awesome shop. Awesome film. Mist not yet working but the turning, spinning etc are great

Almost 100% of that is bullshit.

You were warned yesterday in this very thread, and this made up crap simply doesn't outweigh whatever other opinions you post here.

We've been really forgiving and polite about this but enough's enough - consider this a very public last warning. 

• Like 4

On 22/01/2019 at 7:04 PM, Theme Park Enthusiast said:

I work at Dreamworld and will be riding it tomorrow. I will get some photos. 

...and getting fired.

2 hours ago, Theme Park Enthusiast said:

50 minutes ago, Theme Park Enthusiast said:

Alright I was joking 

Oh dear. I haven't blocked anyone since Sunshine Tom, you've joined a very dubious list there kid.

^ same I've blocked him or her. The last person I blocked was @dylan_oregan but they are the same person. 

Hoesntly everyone should block him, but then who would I give my fountain reaction to. 

On 22/01/2019 at 6:23 PM, joz said:

Can people just block people they don't want to hear from. Someone tries to troll and no one responds than the problem goes away. So go on, block people who trigger you

Edited by TomiJ

To thrive long term Dreamworld needs to first restart their thrill rides agenda from square one. Rip down ToT, Hot Wheels, Giant Drop, Wipeout and Buzzsaw rather than wasting millions of dollars refreshing these rides every 10 years. MDMC, Claw, Tailspin and Pandemonium are the only thrill rides worth keeping at this point. Yes I do enjoy the aforementioned rides and ToT/Giant Drop are some of my favourites in the park but progress means change and these outdated rides are fast approaching their last legs.

Keep the Dreamworld tower and convert GD to floorless gondolas a la Falcon's Fury. Build an Infinity Coaster or Mack launch coaster to replace ToT. A ABC Torbillion to replace Wipeout. An RMC Raptor or S&S 4D Free Spin to replace Hot Wheels. This has to be an action plan over a long term period (a good example of this is Ocean Park's Master Plan which doubled the park's size in under a decade). Thrill rides is obviously Dreamworld's weak link at the moment, remember how 10-15 years ago they took pride in their thrill rides collection. Now their youngest of the 'Big 9' is six years old.

Dreamworks is desperate for an upgrade. Or if Universal wants to cut ties with Ardent, perhaps a new IP altogether, Cartoon Network, Sega or Pokemon would be strong candidates. Land freed up by the removal of ToT will give enough room to expand the Shrek/Kung Fu Panda area. ABC Kids World is a good start but the bigger family rides need attention now.

Make use of all the empty spaces in the park. TRRR and Eureka's huge parcel of land could be used up by a new coaster, or better yet, the dark ride that Ardent has promised. Blue Lagoon should have been cleared forever ago and that land can be used for something relatively large. If Hot Wheels is removed its spot can be used for a new slide tower.

Obviously none of this will ever happen because Ardent doesn't understand the concept of strategic thinking and prefers to run their existing rides into the ground instead. Sky Voyager is a good start but there's still a long way to go for Dreamworld to be a strong park once more. This situation has needed to be responded to since at least 2014 yet very little has been done, if anything at all.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, joz said:

I actually agree with the obvious troll on this one. A Lazy River isn't going to do anything to change the trajectory they're on. They need a new family ride and new thrills to replace the rides that are almost at end of life. They've now got their family ride, it might be late, over budget, ugly and hard to market, but all the same they have their family ride.

Now, they need a bold new thrill ride. Not another flat, a decent coaster. If you can get it to go upside down 6 times and take the Australian record for most inversions that'd probably be useful too, because you need an angle where you need to look straight down the camera and say 'It's more X than Rivals'. Something to take to market and something to balance the park when the old thrill rides start closing.

Oh and a new water slide for WWW. Doesn't matter what, literally anything will do. Dark Mammoth or Boomerango for my taste but it really doesn't matter.

Just curious, what would peoples opinion be on a boomerang coaster? They are somewhat cheap, have enough gimmicks to market easily and small footprint.

Negatives is its not a full circuit which would be a nice to have for dreamworld, and depending on how its run, could have limited capacity. But thats also a null point with DW since they have limited attendance also. 

Once you’ve rode 1 boomerang, you have rode them all. They are ruff, lift hills are extremely slow and they are just boring. 

To fill in TRR you need Something fresh and new new like a MACK power splash 

A MACK xtreme spinning coaster.

And a HUSS enterprise but with a twist of the new elements that are available.

https://www.hussrides.com/en/classic-rides/enterprise-2g2gh

it would be so easy to theme everything in one area.

Edited by Thrill Seeker
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Baconjack said:

To thrive long term Dreamworld needs to first restart their thrill rides agenda from square one. Rip down ToT, Hot Wheels, Giant Drop, Wipeout and Buzzsaw rather than wasting millions of dollars refreshing these rides every 10 years. MDMC, Claw, Tailspin and Pandemonium are the only thrill rides worth keeping at this point. Yes I do enjoy the aforementioned rides and ToT/Giant Drop are some of my favourites in the park but progress means change and these outdated rides are fast approaching their last legs.

I don’t think I fully agree with you. A major reset like you’ve proposed is overkill. While HWSW definitely needs to go, and ToT either needs an axing or a big refurb, I don’t think tearing down any of the other rides you mentioned will do the park any good. Wipeout needs a bit of TLC and/or a partial rebuild, but I don’t think getting rid of it is a good idea, especially seeing it’s one of the last of its kind. Buzzsaw just needs to be maintained better and I’m sure it will last a lot longer, it’s still a reasonably young ride. And removing the giant drop would be a huge blow to the park, it’s one of the park’s biggest draw cards and is still in much better condition than some of its other rides. That said I’m not opposed to taking out the gondolas and replacing them with falcons-fury style gondolas.

Before DW start getting new rides they need to fix their current problems. One of the biggest of which is the way they look after their existing rides. They need to start putting in the proper maintainence instead of keeping the rides closed for half a year and then fixing them with a band aid. If you’re waiting an extended period of time to wait for a key part from the manufacturer, spend that closure time to ensure the rest of the ride is in top condition instead of letting it rot and remain unreliable on reopening (as was the case with Buzzsaw last year). They need to stop modifying the rides without guidance from the manufacturer... These unnecessary modifications are in no way making the rides safer, in fact it’s most likely the obvious. I know that Zamperla and Maurer and all the big ride manufacturers are making their rides safe, but when DW start chucking extra seatbelts and shoulder straps and cages on these rides, I find it hard to trust the safety of those rides any more. Dreamworld can build hundreds of new rides but if they don’t fix these current problems those rides aren’t going to last very long. How long are the effects on Sky Voyager going to last if dreamworld doesn’t maintain it properly? If VR can’t properly maintain some of the effects on JL, Scooby, or WWF, I don’t have much hope for DW maintaining SV properly.

Re: a boomerang for dreamworld, it’s no from me. Those things are everywhere and you can get much better small-footprint, cheap rides nowadays (eg a Raptor). I’m not even sure if Vekoma builds their traditional boomerangs any more (only the family ones).

• Like 4

• Gazza changed the title to Sky Voyager Discussion