Doomsday Destroyer - reviews and feedback

Theme Park Girl

56 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I went back again yesterday and unfortunately you can no longer use any of the supervilian attractions unless you BUY a wristband!

Oh well. It was good while it lasted!

Hopefully once it's all paid for they'll make it free, as they did with the high ropes course at sea world. 

In the meantime, it's just somewhere you can watch rich tourists having fun. 

Rich tourists? I'm not a rich tourist by far, let alone rich in general. I'm a local on a modest budget, and I didn't hesitate to purchase mine yesterday. Many others here have already done the same thing. 

I don't think that $15 for what is currently unlimited use over unlimited days isn't asking for much, especially when you get to keep the wristband. People are quite happy to pay the same amount for trivial souvenirs in the retail outlets, so what's the difference? This one just happens to make cool stuff happen in the park ? 

Besides, cheapskates can easily get free use of the interactive stations just by hanging around them. I gave numerous kids free turns yesterday with mine, because I'm a nice person ?

@YLFATEEKS they are more like a plastic watch, with the RFID chip inside the logo bit ?

20160926_113021.jpg

20160926_113042.jpg

20160926_113053.jpg

20160926_112929.jpg

Edited by Theme Park Girl

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I assume they are more like magic bands - RFID chip inside a relatively durable strap of some sort that can be reused - just as the Harry Potter wands can be reused on return trips.

@Brad2912 @Theme Park Ninja (sorry, I can't remove these tags - TPG) 

Ahh sorry, my post with the pics was confirmation to AlexB's post above, where he was initially responding to yours. Sorry for the confusion @YLFATEEKS ?

2 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I went back again yesterday and unfortunately you can no longer use any of the supervilian attractions unless you BUY a wristband!

Hopefully once it's all paid for they'll make it free, as they did with the high ropes course at sea world. 

We went yesterday with $30 and this was all we had in our account...  drink reactivation, wrist band and VR for Arkham for wife...  We never spend more than $60 and that's on days where we buy lunch there...  Get off your high horse and I'm sure @Theme Park Girl, her kids, me, my wife, my son, @JaggedJanine and anyone else who has already bought one and has used it will agree that $15 is well worth the fun and enjoyment of the area...

I was using it mostly to either amuse the kids in the area or annoy the parents and prudes who didn't want to get affected by the attraction...  Lots of people getting laughs at it once they realised I was doing so...   

3 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Question, but in the past didn't you say you would have preferred increased annual pass prices?

So if you buy a wristband with the money on what you would have spent on a more expensive pass, you'll still be on top.

I bought my Harley Quinn (favourite villain) wristband today and to say the least, being able to activate and play with all the special effects was a lot of fun! My personal favourites are Killer Croc and Captain Cold! Though you do look like a bit of a maniac throwing your arms up in the air and kicking, it's worth it! 

6 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Rich tourists? I'm not a rich tourist by far, let alone rich in general. I'm a local on a modest budget, and I didn't hesitate to purchase mine yesterday. Many others here have already done the same thing. 

I don't think that $15 for what is currently unlimited use over unlimited days isn't asking for much, especially when you get to keep the wristband. People are quite happy to pay the same amount for trivial souvenirs in the retail outlets, so what's the difference? This one just happens to make cool stuff happen in the park ? 

Besides, cheapskates can easily get free use of the interactive stations just by hanging around them. I gave numerous kids free turns yesterday with mine, because I'm a nice person ?

@YLFATEEKS they are more like a plastic watch, with the RFID chip inside the logo bit ?

20160926_113021.jpg

20160926_113042.jpg

20160926_113053.jpg

20160926_112929.jpg

In my ever increasing cynicism, I might have jumped the gun! I didn't think it would be for unlimited use. I assumed it was for the day. 

If it's unlimited I'll be buying one next weekend! :)

3 hours ago, Gazza said:

Question, but in the past didn't you say you would have preferred increased annual pass prices?

So if you buy a wristband with the money on what you would have spent on a more expensive pass, you'll still be on top.

Agreed. If it's for unlimited use no problem!

So not been well since last Wednesday, got better over weekend but then lost my voice during Sunday...  Given I work in an inbound call centre Dr has told me to have until Thursday off...  Anyone want to hazard a guess where I will be tomorrow morning?

If anyone else is there come say hi...  I'll be in the bright Hawaiian shirt most likely near Captain Cold ?

Edited by MaxxTheMonster

16 minutes ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

So not been well since last Wednesdsy, got better over weekend but then lost my voice during Sunday...  Given I work in an inbound call centre Dr has told me to have until Thursday off...  Anyone want to hazard a guess where I will be tomorrow morning?

If anyone else is there come say hi...  I'll be in the bright hawaiian shirt most likely near Captain Cold ?

You are the real Supervillain of the area for hiding there in ambush for any unsuspecting members of the GP ?

2 hours ago, iwerks said:

Wouldn't it be cool if they made interactive statues and games all over the park?

TBH, now that they have the tech, if the bands sell well, I can see them being used for all sorts of things around the park.

Water blasters on WWF anyone? SFX on the facade of spooky coaster? Marilyn Monroe style grating (i know she has one, but done properly, set into the street)

12 minutes ago, iwerks said:

The footage from the last couple of days has been amazing. Where's the international coverage of this?

I was thinking the same thing. This precinct should be getting way more coverage than it has been! Movie World should be marketing it to the hilt! I remember back in the day we used to get tons of GC theme parks ads down here in NSW. Now, virtually nothing. When DW opened the Claw their ads were all over the TV, and pretty much everyone in NSW knew about it!

Being a whole new precinct including ride we were really surprised how quiet that area seemed to be on Sunday.  Sure there are tv spots but not much else.  As usual the front of the park and Scooby were busy, WWF was a 10 min wait in the middle of the day...  We took one look at WB Kids and decided to give it a miss..

44 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

This precinct should be getting way more coverage than it has been! Movie World should be marketing it to the hilt!

Yeah, and interestingly enough, when the local media did attempt to cover the upcoming launch night and give the park some publicity, it was all focused around a celebrity rumour which turned out to be false :rolleyes:<_<

The area seemed somewhat busy today when I was there briefly. The $15 is unlimited use of the area and not just a single day use @pushbutton. Will be heading back there this weekend to have a proper play around due to being limited by time today (took 45 minutes longer to get there than planned due to traffic).

Edited by pin142

I think $15 for unlimited use is pretty good value. I can't remember Universal's pricing but I think it was about a $10-15 price difference for the interactive wands. I think prices started at around $50USD for the interactive wands. Granted, you got a pretty cool piece of merchandise for that cost, though.

But the actual interactive stuff wasn't as cool as the stuff at MW, IMO.

Either way, great job MW. Definitely an awesome addition and hopefully will even out the crowds throughout the park.

Regarding all the talk about MW marketing this. In Perth I have seen at least 4 adds this week on TV for Dreamworlds new Tiger Island. Nothing for MW. I think MW missed the mark with their advertising. Look how much AW has done for Kraken and Abyss by doing big revels on TV reports and they marketed the hell out of it. MW never mentioned it until it was opening no mention while it was under construction to build hype with the GP. This is something they need to work on with the new "World best" coaster and how they market the park for the CWG in 2018. Considering this area is so good I am surprised they haven't advertised saying "the best themed area in Australia" or made up some fancy line.

I have seen lots of Movie World ads played recently on local free to air TV  (most recently on Go! Gold Coast), they have just mainly been later in the evening. Saw the latest Doomsday one a handful of times over the weekend around 9-10pm, both a short and a full version. They then changed to ones for Fright Nights (Conjuring 2 maze) at 11pm, which have been getting absolutely flogged late at night for a week or two now - at least once per ad break.

I did see in the weeks leading up to the opening of the area that they were advertising it on YouTube. Didn't see much on TV. 

Also with the addition of these wristbands, I'd love to see something like the Magic Bands used at WDW to use as passes for Premium Members. I just love the idea of it. Maybe you could even have a wrist band that can be used for entry, as well as interactive things around the park. Ahhh, that would be awesome ??

I'm still trying to figure out my cynical take on this whole wristband thing.  

It's $15 to basically play themed games on an Xbox connect.  On the other hand though there are a bunch of cool practical effects with many of the games.  It's not like Universal where the wands are vital to the effect of casting a spell and it complements the theme perfectly, this is literally just 'swipe your souvenir wristband to play'.  It's an arcade game. But it's unlimited, play as much as you like.  The wristbands aren't themed, but they have characters on them, and if you did theme it what would you do make it look like?  A police monitoring tag? Print outs of the characters obviously makes much more sense as a souvenir.  

The purest in me is kind of thinking screw this 'we'll only theme if we can put a dollar figure on how much the themeing will generate' mentality.  Next step of course is swipe your wristband before you go on Scooby to make all the effects work.  That's me at my absolute cynical best/worst.  

On the other hand, why not do it? It's an arcade really, and it's a known thing that I'm all for having those in parks.  But not only is it an arcade, but it's a themed arcade with unique games with practical effects that once you pay you can play as much as you like and you get a little souviner thrown in.

Overall, I guess I like it, but not going to lie it was a close run thing.

• Richard changed the title to Doomsday Destroyer - reviews and feedback