Sea World future attraction ideas

Flynn_Smith

Apparently in 2009 it was moved to Funfields in Victoria and now operates under the name "Blackbeard's Fury", according to Wikipedia ?

ETA: Found a vid. Yep, that's her! Used to love that groaning noise when the brakes were applied at the end, haha. Memories ❤️

Edited by Theme Park Girl

On 07/11/2016 at 9:10 AM, loki75 said:

Would it be possible this has anything to do on the governments safety blitz. If the ride was already down for maintenance could that period be extended to complete a safety audit?

The maintenance period wasn't extended for the safety audits. Someone asked MW on Facebook if the safety audits would impact on MW opening to the public and MW responded with this:

Village Roadshow Theme Parks welcomes any initiative that will further enhance safety within the industry, and we will continue to work with all regulatory bodies to support such initiatives. There are no planned operational interruptions. 

Given it says VRTP, it is very likely that their response applies to SW too.

On 05/11/2016 at 11:52 PM, ClassifiedLlama said:

Sea World...are in need of some new ideas, SO, share them on here!

I think SW's priority should be the removal/replacement of the SW Resort Water Park. Whilst, according to SW, the replacement is to be part of SW Resort, I believe the land should be returned to SW as it suits SW better geographically. This is an idea I developed with SW in mind over the past few days to go in the land linking Castaway Bay with Shark Bay. The general theme of the area is just the open ocean:

SeaWorld.jpg

• Beginning at the southern end, the underwater viewing area of Shark Bay is linked to the new area via a tunnel under the road that leads to the SW Monorail maintenance area. The new entrance is via walking into (or near) the mouth of a Great White Shark. The rest of the Great White Shark's body forms part of a statue on ground level - doubling as an entry sign to Shark Bay. It could also include animatronic features in the fins/tail.
  • The main attraction in the area is a S&S - Sansei Technologies 4D Free Spin which I've called Ocean Current. Due to SW Monorail's maintenance track/area causing this whole area (plus Castaway Bay) to be hidden/isolated, a major thrill ride in this area would encourage visitors to find the area. The track would be coloured green/blue/white & a blue sign to the ride is located out the front.
  • Under the Monorail near the Battle Boats station, is a couple of retail outlets - one of which sells ride-on photos to Ocean Current. Next to it, is the SW Monorail maintenance area where the transfer track is connected to the main track.
  • Opposite to the retail outlets, is a timber observation deck which provides a photo opportunity of the Broadwater. In the shallow waters nearby, a recreation of the SW logo is placed (similar to DW's globe) providing a spot to take photos that can be shared through social media.
  • The other main attraction in the area is what I've called Shipwreck. Mostly located beneath ground level, it is a combined escape/panic room & maze. The exterior theming consists of a sinking ship with water pumps recreating the forces water has when a ship sinks. A timber walkway connecting the ship with the land acts as the entrance/exit into the attraction. Once inside the ship, you are put into the escape/panic room. Screens inside the room detail the story before the puzzle begins - you are rich people who are guests on board a ship in rough seas (link to Ocean Current). You encounter a pirate ship (link to Battle Boats) & become locked in a battle with them. Pirates manage to board the ship & the ride attendant (playing the ship's captain etc.) then hides you (because of how rich you are) by locking you in the room. After a brief battle scene, a cannon ball hits your ship and begins to sink. The game then starts where the aim is to evacuate the ship before it sinks. The screens inside the room show the water rising 'outside the windows' (to give an indication of the time you got left) as well as showing the pirates & their ship leaving due to them sinking your ship. When the water reaches the top, small hidden water fountains in the room briefly soak the participants (to recreate water breaching the room) before the ride attendant 'saves you' and leads you into the maze (If you lose the game or depending on how long it took you to finish the puzzle, water effects would operate in the maze too). If you solve the puzzle, you can open the door leading everyone into the maze. The maze essentially looks like the rest of the ship's interior & utilises the effects seen in Young Einstein Gravity Homestead to give you 'sea legs'. The maze represents you evacuating the ship and finding a way out. The end of the maze is the actual ride exit - the timber walkway connecting the ship to the land. Once out, you can then see your time & compare it to other participants. I imagined you can record your time by scanning your park ticket inside the panic/escape room before the puzzle begins as well as at the exit of the attraction.
  • Behind Shipwreck is a plaza where people can sit & eat food from the nearby retail outlets (including the Castaway Bay shops). A stage is placed in front of Shipwreck - doubling it as a background for a show (such as one about pirates or castaways). The plaza acts a place for visitors to view the show (whilst eating too). General entertainment (such as a band or singer or even character meet & greets) can also utilise the stage during non-show times.

Happy to hear anyone's opinion on my idea. Please note though that I didn't take into account any financial restraints when developing the ideas.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

42 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

The maintenance period wasn't extended for the safety audits. Someone asked MW on Facebook if the safety audits would impact on MW opening to the public and MW responded with this:

Given it says VRTP, it is very likely that their response applies to SW too.

I think SW's priority should be the removal/replacement of the SW Resort Water Park. Whilst, according to SW, the replacement is to be part of SW Resort, I believe the land should be returned to SW as it suits SW better geographically. This is an idea I developed with SW in mind over the past few days to go in the land linking Castaway Bay with Shark Bay. The general theme of the area is just the open ocean:

SeaWorld.jpg

• Beginning at the southern end, the underwater viewing area of Shark Bay is linked to the new area via a tunnel under the road that leads to the SW Monorail maintenance area. The new entrance is via walking into (or near) the mouth of a Great White Shark. The rest of the Great White Shark's body forms part of a statue on ground level - doubling as an entry sign to Shark Bay. It could also include animatronic features in the fins/tail.
  • The main attraction in the area is a S&S - Sansei Technologies 4D Free Spin which I've called Ocean Current. Due to SW Monorail's maintenance track/area causing this whole area (plus Castaway Bay) to be hidden/isolated, a major thrill ride in this area would encourage visitors to find the area. The track would be coloured green/blue/white & a blue sign to the ride is located out the front.
  • Under the Monorail near the Battle Boats station, is a couple of retail outlets - one of which sells ride-on photos to Ocean Current. Next to it, is the SW Monorail maintenance area where the transfer track is connected to the main track.
  • Opposite to the retail outlets, is a timber observation deck which provides a photo opportunity of the Broadwater. In the shallow waters nearby, a recreation of the SW logo is placed (similar to DW's globe) providing a spot to take photos that can be shared through social media.
  • The other main attraction in the area is what I've called Shipwreck. Mostly located beneath ground level, it is a combined escape/panic room & maze. The exterior theming consists of a sinking ship with water pumps recreating the forces water has when a ship sinks. A timber walkway connecting the ship with the land acts as the entrance/exit into the attraction. Once inside the ship, you are put into the escape/panic room. Screens inside the room detail the story before the puzzle begins - you are rich people who are guests on board a ship in rough seas (link to Ocean Current). You encounter a pirate ship (link to Battle Boats) & become locked in a battle with them. Pirates manage to board the ship & the ride attendant (playing the ship's captain etc.) then hides you (because of how rich you are) by locking you in the room. After a brief battle scene, a cannon ball hits your ship and begins to sink. The game then starts where the aim is to evacuate the ship before it sinks. The screens inside the room show the water rising 'outside the windows' (to give an indication of the time you got left) as well as showing the pirates & their ship leaving due to them sinking your ship. When the water reaches the top, small hidden water fountains in the room briefly soak the participants (to recreate water breaching the room) before the ride attendant 'saves you' and leads you into the maze (If you lose the game or depending on how long it took you to finish the puzzle, water effects would operate in the maze too). If you solve the puzzle, you can open the door leading everyone into the maze. The maze essentially looks like the rest of the ship's interior & utilises the effects seen in Young Einstein Gravity Homestead to give you 'sea legs'. The maze represents you evacuating the ship and finding a way out. The end of the maze is the actual ride exit - the timber walkway connecting the ship to the land. Once out, you can then see your time & compare it to other participants. I imagined you can record your time by scanning your park ticket inside the panic/escape room before the puzzle begins as well as at the exit of the attraction.
  • Behind Shipwreck is a plaza where people can sit & eat food from the nearby retail outlets (including the Castaway Bay shops). A stage is placed in front of Shipwreck - doubling it as a background for a show (such as one about pirates or castaways). The plaza acts a place for visitors to view the show (whilst eating too). General entertainment (such as a band or singer or even character meet & greets) can also utilise the stage during non-show times.

Happy to hear anyone's opinion on my idea. Please note though that I didn't take into account any financial restraints when developing the ideas.

Awesome ideas. Absolutely fantastic and would certainly add a whole new level of interest and fun to the park.

I like how everyone is liking the idea of a 4D free spin roller coaster yet everyone in America hates six flags for adding them. But its a great idea @Jamberoo Fan and seems like it would be much cheaper than Joz's plan. (His is still Awesome and I wish SW did both) 

I see this being a more likely path for SW as they are adding a family attraction and a thrill ride/roller coaster. The only other realistic option I see is SW getting a flat ride somewhere else in the park. Unless VRTP want to spend more big bucks on another major roller coaster or expensive development project. Which is still possible but unlikely due to everything happening at and around MW.

Edited by Tim Dasco

There's nothing that says a panic room must be terrorfying, so there's no reason it couldn't fit.

As for a 4D free spin, it's not a ride I'd choose, but at 122cm it has a low height restriction, and I can imagine the GP eating it up.  I'm not totally against the idea of one in that location.

What I would say though, is that area of the park at the moment is a playground for kids, and it's a popular corner of the park, so my instinct would be to expand on and improve the current castaway bay theme, rather than add two fairly adult attractions to a totally kiddie area.  Rather than a panic room/maze, I think a MACK twist and shout to replace the kiddie pool would be the way to go.  I don't think it's too similar to battle boats, I think it just adds to the critical mass of wet rides in that area to make that the place to go to cool off, (almost like a water park ;) ).  That area already has a gift shop so I wouldn't bother with that, but an expanded seating area and alcohol sales I think would make it better for parents wanting a break while their kids let off energy in the kiddie attractions.   If the room was there for a 4D free fly I wouldn't be say no given the fairly low height requirement, but I don't think it's a ride that should take on the role of the parks big signature thrill ride either.  

Just my $0.02

Has anyone considered a Premier Rides Sky Rocket 2 like Tempesto? Maybe even a ride like Gale Force? I have heard they are way cheaper than a new custom coast, especially from mack. They are quite tall, and a really thrilling and fun. plus they look really nice. Could have a cool theming as well, along the lines Jamberoo Fan's Ocean Currents. I believe they are regarded a lot higher than 4d free spins. They also only do one inversion so it would keep the family friendly theme.

Edited by Intimidator305.

15 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

@Jessicajealousy the water park still stands, but it's permanently closed. You've actually just reminded me, on took some pics of it the other day. I should upload them. 

I just had a quick look online and found these images for you of when the Corkscrew and Pirate ship were still standing, facing east. 

images(56).jpg

Old map above, new map below, on same angle. Red circle is where the Corkscrew is/was. Green the Pirate ship.

20161108_160201.jpg

20161108_160511.png

Thanks so much @Theme Park Girl - these are really helpful! Yep, the last time I went Bermuda Triangle was still up and running, so a lot has changed. Once I finish building my house, I am definitely taking a much needed trip to the Gold Coast!

15 hours ago, themagician said:

@Jessicajealousy this is what the park looks like as of September

SW.jpg

Thanks for that @themagician - it's a bit clearer than Google Earth shows. If only Nearmaps was free....

17 minutes ago, Jessicajealousy said:

Thanks for that @themagician - it's a bit clearer than Google Earth shows. If only Nearmaps was free....

Theres a few of us on here who have access to it, so all you have to do is ask...

Nearmaps also have timeline, so you can view how an area has changed over time. If I have the time at home tonight, I might make a GIF of the park over the past 6-8 years or so.

4 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Theres a few of us on here who have access to it, so all you have to do is ask...

Nearmaps also have timeline, so you can view how an area has changed over time. If I have the time at home tonight, I might make a GIF of the park over the past 6-8 years or so.

That would be amazing @AlexB! No stress if you don't have time, but if you could it would be much appreciated! I used to have NearMaps access at my old work - it was really cool! 

Whilst a 4D Free Fly would be nice wonder how a ride of that height will go given the park seems to suffer from height restrictions for rides in the past (eg Sea World Eye). Both Corkscrew and Storm are 28m tall and the 4D is 37m. Will this extra 9m in height cause an issue with the park and those nearby.

I think the nature of the ride (i.e. a big solid structure almost that looks like a bunch of I Beams) would get a lot of opposition. 

A more traditional coaster is somewhat more spread out so doesn't have as much impact on the skyline which seems to be the big issue. 

For example Storm is ok but the Eye wasn't. 

I still stand by my view though that whilst it's got big appeal that free fly isn't family friendly. It's the kind of ride that mums would say "no way I'm riding that thing" as opposed to something that looks a bit more 'fun' like say a spinner.  

14 hours ago, djrappa said:

I hate the idea of adding a free spin. It's not at all the 'family friendly' type or attraction suited to Sea World. 

9 hours ago, joz said:

What I would say though, is that area of the park at the moment is a playground for kids, and it's a popular corner of the park, so my instinct would be to expand on and improve the current castaway bay theme, rather than add two fairly adult attractions to a totally kiddie area.   If the room was there for a 4D free fly I wouldn't be say no given the fairly low height requirement, but I don't think it's a ride that should take on the role of the parks big signature thrill ride either.  

I see where you're coming from. I agree SW is more of a family park rather than a thrill park. Sea Viper did look a bit intense for most people though with it's 3 inversions. I saw how people on Parkz were saying Sea Viper hasn't been 'replaced'. In my opinion, Storm Coaster was that replacement (similar height with lift hill/drop(s)) but without any inversions. This ride brings back inversions to the park. I would have added more family attractions but the main reason I put it there was to draw attention to a sometimes forgotten part of the park. There are 3 family attractions up there already & despite Affinity being near it, it is still very forgotten so I thought adding more family attractions would make no difference. Adding a thrill ride though, would.

4 hours ago, Intimidator305. said:

Has anyone considered a Premier Rides Sky Rocket 2 like Tempesto?

I actually did consider that ride type when developing my idea but it reminded me too much of Buzzsaw. I wanted something to differentiate SW from MW/DW but that's my opinion.

2 hours ago, pin142 said:

Both Corkscrew and Storm are 28m tall and the 4D is 37m.

The specifications sheet from the S&S - Sansei Technologies website says it 33.2 metres high.

54 minutes ago, djrappa said:

I think the nature of the ride (i.e. a big solid structure almost that looks like a bunch of I Beams) would get a lot of opposition. 

A more traditional coaster is somewhat more spread out so doesn't have as much impact on the skyline which seems to be the big issue. 

I put it in the location of The Plunge as I thought given a rather significant structure is already there, it wouldn't stand out as much as a normally empty spot in the skyline would create if a tall ride took it's place. Mind you, the waterslide tower is roughly half the height of a S&S - Sansei Technologies 4D Free Spin.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun) as @Jessicajealousy, my last Sea World visit they still had Bermuda Triangle, the Gondolas, and Viper.

In no particular order, some things I'd like to see:

Aren't we back to it being WnW's turn for some capex now? 

Sea World just had the plaza. 

Movie World has DD and the coaster.

WnW is due again. Whether the money goes to the GC or the under-performing Sydney park is yet to be seen. 

I'd like to think Vikings still has a future though. There's no real reason for it to be removed, surely? Shouldn't cost too much in the grand scheme of things for some new boats and a new conveyor belt?

On 11/8/2016 at 9:30 PM, Tim Dasco said:

I like how everyone is liking the idea of a 4D free spin roller coaster yet everyone in America hates six flags for adding them. But its a great idea @Jamberoo Fan and seems like it would be much cheaper than Joz's plan. (His is still Awesome and I wish SW did both) 

I see this being a more likely path for SW as they are adding a family attraction and a thrill ride/roller coaster. The only other realistic option I see is SW getting a flat ride somewhere else in the park. Unless VRTP want to spend more big bucks on another major roller coaster or expensive development project. Which is still possible but unlikely due to everything happening at and around MW.

If SW, or any other theme park in Australia installs a 4D freespin ride, I will be required to burn them down to the ground. I rode one at Six Flags earlier this year and they are poor excuses for roller coasters, and much inferior to proper 4D rides like X2. 

This is IMO a far better ride than any Zacspin or 4D free spin, and I'm fairly certain that it meets the height limit at 38 metres tall. They should be looking at this instead of a 4D Free Spin, however as both are made by S&S, I doubt that VRTP will ever buy a thing from them again following MW's mishap on Green Lantern.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

^ They don't, their rides have a good reputation. However VRTP had a MAJOR problem with one of them and had the potential to kill everyone on board that day if it had of gone over the edge with MW facing the same problem DW is right now. 

With the cause found to be the manufacture you'd think they'd be very pissed at them cautious to trust them again. Which is a shame because I would love to see some of their models making their way to Australia. One being an S&S Screamin' Swing, maybe the trick is to buy their tried and tested models, not prototypes. 

Edited by Original

• Richard changed the title to Sea World future attraction ideas